Yesterday was the first day of the local farmer's market--yea! Not much there, but one farm had a gorgeous display of greens. I bought a beautiful head of butter lettuce, kale, bok choy, and some floppy scallions.
I made myself a nice salad for lunch as soon as we got back home. Toasted pecans, apples, mmm...
For dinner last night I made something special for Cinco de Mayo: sesame tofu! Very authentic. You know I'm joking, right? It is actually a recipe that my friend Marian makes for her family, and I have been meaning to try it. So good! And, I'm actually going to post the recipe...even though I haven't posted pie or muffin recipes yet.
Sesame Tofu with Spinach
1 cake firm tofu (16 oz)
1/4 cup sesame seeds
2 T dark sesame oil
2 T soy sauce
a few drops hot sauce (optional)
2 t vegetable oil or olive oil
3 garlic cloves, chopped
10 oz. fresh baby spinach, rinsed
salt and pepper
Slice tofu into 4 rectangular slabs. Then slice slabs in half to make 8 roughly square pieces. Dredge pieces in sesame seeds. Press seeds into each tofu square to coat completely.
Heat sesame oil on medium heat. Arrange tofu in single layer in skillet for about 5 minutes. Carefully turn them over and cook 5 more minutes on other side. Add soy sauce and hot sauce, turn tofu over, and cook for 1 more minute until most of the liquid is absorbed. Transfer tofu squares to plate.
Add oil and garlic to skillet and saute for 30 seconds until golden. Add still damp rinsed spinach and cook for a minute or two, stirring constantly, until wilted but still bright green. Season w/ salt and pepper.
Transfer to platter and top with tofu. Serve with rice or noodles.
****Angela note: I used probably more toasted sesame oil than called for. I also browned chopped scallions in the pan with the tofu. Instead of spinach I used bok choy from the farmer's market. It was delicious! I served the tofu and greens over fettuccine. Also, the recipe didn't mention pressing the tofu block beforehand, but I did for a few hours to extract the extra moisture. I placed the tofu block on a plate lined with paper towels and then inverted another plate on top of the tofu and placed a full jug of maple syrup on top of the second plate to apply pressure. Thanks, Marian, for the recipe!
Tonight Clayton had a business dinner so I just had another salad with the butter lettuce, scallions, carrots, buffalo chick nuggets, and dilly dressing--you know, my stand by. The kids had the nuggets with green beans, and we all finished with raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, and green grapes. Now, I'm going to soak in the bath with a bowl of coconut milk ice cream. It's just been one of those days.
You?
3 comments:
if you only lived closer...i could try to con you into letting me come over with stuff so i can learn at your feet. :) WHY am i buying vegetables that i lose interest in chopping once i walk into my door? please let this urge pass....
in the meantime, between craving hot dogs and hamburger meat, i have been craving some bbq tofu- but this sesame tofu....i may be able to do this! i even have sesame oil!!! and THANK YOU for the tofu tip on drainage. i always end up with weirded out tofu.
butter lettuce. i love butter lettuce. it's just so good.
whooeeee! I'm glad you tried this. We love it so much. We miss ya'll!
i made this today!!!!!! :) it was really good- i think i put too much soy sauce in...but otherwise a total keeper and seriously easy!
Post a Comment