Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Eggplant Sandwiches

We love these babies. And so easy--very important!

Buns/bread
Vegenaise or mayo
Fresh or dry basil
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Frozen eggplant cutlets
Lettuce
Onion
Tomato

Mix desired amount of Vegenaise with garlic and onion powders and basil--according to taste. The fresh basil is wonderful here but the dried works in, uh, pinch. Spread Vegenaise mixture on buns and top with cooked eggplant and veggies. We use the Ezekiel 4:9 buns (in the freezer section) and have also made the sandwiches with Panera Bread's Tomato-Basil bread. I like to bake the eggplant slices until they are pretty toasty--so they don't turn all mushy in the sandwich.

3 comments:

Peggy said...

I love eggplant sandwiches. Make me one while I'm there, please! Or show me how since I'll be there to help, not be waited on.

Becca~CapturingSimpleJoys said...

Thank-you for posting a picture of the box. Allison had wonderful things to say about these sandwishes and I've wondered what they looked like so I could find the exact ones-that way I'll know they'll be good! Sometimes brand makes all the difference.
The way you have it set up reminds me of Pioneer Woman!
BTW -she is having givaways this whole week to celebrate two years of blogging.

j said...

i found buns!!! it took some searching, but found them i did. i'm wondering if i have to order those cutlets online...my standby for vegan items doesn't seem to carry much...(i'm researching and incorporating...if not full on vegan yet!). :)

veganaise. yesterday i wondered if it was a sin to use it to make deviled eggs. (i had run out of mayo). fortunately for me, i will not know...i got over the craving pretty quickly. :)