I was just going to take a couple photos of my kitchen to show why I haven't been posting lately, but my battery died--a blogger's rookie mistake. Anyway, for all my hard vegan work, I am getting a little kitchen makeover! But more exciting than that--much, much more exciting--is that Clayton's PET scan this week showed that he is cancer FREE!!! We have been praising God all week. I give all the credit to God and the knowledge He has given us about science and medicine and nutrition. All He has to do is say the word and miracles are done, but I like to think that all the good food that Clayton has been eating made God's work a little easier!
So, next week I hope to unveil my new vegan kitchen. But in the meantime, there won't be much cooking of note going on. There is too much dust, the pantry is emptied in the dining room, and none of my dishes seem clean.
But tonight, we had a simple dinner that I started in the crockpot this morning.
Pasta fagioli soup
Field greens salad with carrots and balsamic vinaigrette
Whole grain bread with margarine and honey
And I just made us some more pina colada punch. How about I leave you with a recipe?
Pina Colada Punch
1 46 oz. can of 100% pineapple juice
1 13.5 oz. can of coconut milk, unsweetened
1 banana
Combine all in a blender and blend until smooth. Blend with ice cubes for more slushy consistency. Serve over ice. This is a beach vacation in a glass--delish!
I hope to post some new favorite recipes while the kitchen is being finished. Check back!
You?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Bonnie and Caleb came over for dinner last night, so we pulled out all the stops. We had leftovers. Yummy leftovers, though. I had made some chicken chili the day before in the crock pot, and we had that with sprouted sesame seed bagels and cream cheese. Mike made smoothies (he cals them smoothies, they are actually milkshakes) for dessert with strawberries and banana. Yummy, and the company was fun too. :)
That sounds good and refreshing :)
Kitchen make over?! Can't wait to see!! I want to make ours over desperately, but it would more be a matter of re-doing it entirely, and since we are thinking about selling this house in the fairly near future, it is probably not worth it.
Yes we have been mooching off our friends this week...
Last night Mike and Carody provided that yummy dinner, and the night before our friends Jim and Heather provided us with a lovely dinner also.
Heather made:
steamed asparagus with bay and thyme
boiled new potatoes with dill weed lemon and olive oil
barbecued chicken with cheese and spices
I did cook for friends Kaedden and Holly the night before that, so I am not an entire mooch...
I made:
- cauliflower cheese with a breadcrumb topping
- chick patties
- spinach salad with homemade raspberry vinaigrette
- rosemary olive oil bread sticks with dipping oil
- fruit salad with fresh grapes, kiwi, banana, canned pears, and frozen cherries
I am hoping to do more cooking next week do some more on the inviting end too!
Bonnie
How fun for you! I can't wait to see your new kitchen. I agree, all that good nutrition had to have boosted Clayton's health and ability to heal.
Just wanted to tell you how happy I am for your good news!
hi! I just stumbled upon your blog when I was doing a search on "vegan breaded eggplant cutlets." Great minds must think alike! :)
Sorry to hear of your husband's illness but such WONDERFUL news to hear no cancer was found on his recent PET scan. My stepfather has Stage IV lung cancer and has lived with it, post-chemo, for four years. (The chemo did enough to stop its growth but not knock it out and the tumor is in an inoperable location.) I wish I could convince him that boosting his immune system with a plant-based diet will come in handy when the monster in his chest rears its ugly head again. He's just shoveling in all the eggs, bacon, sausage and steak he possibly can. Urp.
Well, anyhow, thanks again for the inspiration. I can't wait to try some of your recipes. Good luck with your vegan journey!
Debra, thank you for the comment! You will have to try those frozen eggplant cutlets--makes an easy dinner, especially compared to doing it from scratch!
Eating right while sick just seems like a no brainer to me--especially with cancer and heart disease which are directly connected to the diseases. It just makes sense to put the best fuel in the body to rev up to fight. But I know it goes against what a lot of us grew up thinking and eating and learning. I wish I could convince everyone of this. But it is hard, I know, but even little changes make such a difference.
I hope you stop by again!
Debra,
Thank you for writing your blog. It is inspirational to me especially since you are a Christian. I am a Christian vegan as well, but my husband and daughter are not vegetarians at all. Praise the Lord your husband is doing well!! I will be reading your blog, and I'm grateful for it.
I meant to write Angela, not Debra. Sorry.
Post a Comment