Friday, March 07, 2008

Getting Intimate With My Kitchen

It was another long day in the kitchen today. I finished up my pantry-refrigerator organizing. Did our batch of juicing for the next few days. And I worked on dinner most of the afternoon. And, oh, the dishes! Clayton normally does all the dishes, but since he is zapped of energy after the chemo, I am doing it all and it is wiping me out. The kids did their best to stay occupied: Juliet helped me put beans in the new canisters, Ashton danced to Dave Matthews Band for me, and Callan sat in his highchair looking cute while banging his rattle--a longsuffering crew, I must say.

B
Oatmeal with strawberry compote
Cinnamon-raisin bread

L-for Clayton (the kids and I had TacoBell--no cheese!)
Boca burger
Spinach and red leaf salad with balsamic vinaigrette
Pretzels

D
Black bean cakes topped with spicy mashed sweet potatoes and avocado with homemade tomatillo sauce
Roasted corn on the cob
Strawberry-mango salsa on red leaf lettuce
Corn tortillas

I was so excited about dinner tonight that all the work involved was worth it. Delish! The good thing about the bb cakes is that the recipe made enough to freeze. So really it was like work for two meals. The tomatillo sauce was so yummy and really easy.

Okay, I am really, really tired. Going to drift off into sweet sleep.

You?

5 comments:

Becca~CapturingSimpleJoys said...

I am loving this site and all the yummy pictures you're showing!

Anonymous said...

WOW that meal looks amazing, and it is only breakfast time for me reading this! So beautiful.


Bonnie

Barbara said...

Certainly looks delicious! YOu are working so hard. When all of this is over, you will need a nice relaxing vacation.

Nothing exciting here on the cooking front, so no reason to waste your time posting about what we have been eating. When I make something good, I'll tell you about it. :)

Anonymous said...

Angela, This is a recipe my cousin sent me. I mad it this Sabbath, the vegan way, and it was fabulous. I thought I'ld share.

Christiane



Gluten

2 c. gluten flour

½ c. quick oats

3 T. nutritional yeast flakes or wheat germ

2 T. McKay’s Chicken Seasoning

1 tsp. garlic powder

About 2 cups water



Mix dry ingredients. Add water, stirring to make a ball. If too soft and crumbly, add 1 T. gluten flour at a time, and knead in to make right consistency. The tighter the texture, the more firm or rubbery it will be. I like it with a loose texture, it will make more tender gluten. Roll out into a 1 ½ to 2 inch roll.



Slice off ½ in pieces and use hands or rolling pin to flatten. Put in boiling broth.



Broth:

8 cups water

1 package onion soup mix

3 T. soy sauce



Bring to boil, add gluten, and simmer for 45 min.



Use slotted spoon to remove patties from broth.



Breading:

1 cup flour

2 tsp. Mckays seasoning or 1 T. George Washington broth



Coat patties with flour mixture, then fry in skillet medium heat, just until brown on both sides



Put into a casserole dish with pam spray, and cover with gravy and bake.



Gravy:

Save broth, strain out chunks, approx 6 cups liquid. Sautee chopped onion and package chopped mushrooms, add to broth and thicken with flour. Cook over low heat until thickened. To make extra creamy, blend silken morinu tofu in blender with ¼ cup oil and 1 tsp onion powder. Can use tofutti non dairy sour cream instead of tofu, whichever you have available, add blender mixture to gravy mixture.



(vegan version) dairy version can add large cream of mushroom soup or regular sour cream, no difference in taste between vegan vs. dairy version, both delicious.

angela | the painted house said...

Thank you, Christiane! Sounds good! And a lot of work...but is it all? Glad you are reading and contributing.

:)