Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Where's The Beef?

Time travel with me, would you?

If you are new here, let me offer a little background info. I have been an on-again-off-again vegetarian since I was a teenager. When I was pregnant with my first child five years ago, I was eating meat but decided that I would raise my children as vegetarians. My husband Clayton, a meat-eater, was supportive of this decision. Once Ashton was old enough to eat table food, I mainly just cooked vegetarian at home; and Clayton and I would eat meat out.

Now strap yourself back into that DeLorean and zip back to 2008. Clayton was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma in February. Hello? McFly? That is CANCER. We were completely blindsided by the news. Out of nowhere. We have since picked ourselves up, with the help of God, family, and friends; and we are fighting. We are fighting with traditional lymphoma treatment and healthy eating. And, by healthy eating, I mean VEGAN—no meat, no dairy, no animal products at all. And we have also cut out sugar.

So what is a meat addict (Clayton) and a sugar junkie (me) to do? Well, after some crying, pouting, and cursing out every Starbucks on every stinkin’ corner, we have risen to the vegan challenge. Actually it hasn’t been that hard for me (most days) and the immediate effects of eating a plant-based diet are amazing—more energy, better skin, clean colon, better sleep, weight loss.

And, the kids? Ashton, 4, and Juliet, 2, haven’t really noticed—since they have been eating vegetarian their whole little lives. Ashton misses his quesadillas with real cheese; but other than that, they are happy little eaters. Callan, 7 months, won’t even get a chance at dairy once he switches from formula to rice milk when he is older.

Okay, I know what is coming. What about protein and calcium? I have only been a vegan for almost two months now, but it is long enough to perfect the eye roll given by seasoned vegans to this infamous question. Yes, we get all the protein and calcium we need from legumes and vegetables and fruits.

****Updated: Clayton has since completed chemotherapy and is in complete remission! We are continuing a strict vegan diet at home and eating very little sugar. The effects of this diet have been amazing.

2 comments:

S Club Mama said...

I don't think this is bad at all. And a perfectly good reason to be a vegan! Personally, I LOVE beef, but I think I could live without (minus the cost of veggies and fruits...do you grow your own? Or buy only organic?)

Trish Sutton said...

Hello,

Would you consider voting for a vegan school lunch option? We only need a few more votes for it to be considered...

www.change.org/ideas/view/vegan_school_lunch_options

Thanks,

Trish