Monday, March 03, 2008

An Off Day

Things just weren't perfect today--mainly dinner.

B
Granola with rice milk
Strawberry, banana smoothie with rice milk, OJ, and ground flax seeds

L
Leftover black bean soup
Spinach salad with veggies and tomato-avocado dressing
Freshly juiced pineapple-orange juice

D
Sunflower-walnut loaf with onion gravy
Steamed broccoli
Cabbage-apple salad with red onion, carrots, red cabbage, celery

The loaf tasted really good but didn't "set up" inside so I couldn't really cut it into squares like a meatloaf. The main ingredients are ground sunflower seeds, ground walnuts, grated potatoes, grated zucchini, whole wheat bread crumbs, onion, and garlic--along with some spices. Then I oversteamed the broccoli. And the salad for dinner wasn't the best I've ever made. Oh well.

I also did our juicing today to last until Wednesday. And, I made a batch of Almond-Flax Granola. It is tasty--I had a small bowl this afternoon as a snack.

Now I am going to go finish cleaning the kitchen, shower, and PLOP in bed.

And, before I go, kudos to you all for working on your pledges! And, Barbara, all the fresh dinners--hooray! Bonnie and Barbara, your tuna cakes and mahi-mahi respectively sounded so good to this vegan. Clayton and I appreciate all the support!

You?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here is a yummy vegan recipe for you :) Yes, I actually felt up to cooking today. I got the recipe "inspiration" from Wholefoods website, but of course I didn't follow their recipe exactly, or really measure, and it was still delicious!

Mushroom Cheddar Burgers (The recipe is completely vegan, but the cheddar is supposed to be melted on top for burgers, so you could use another soy cheese or top with guacamole for burger buns, or leave plain)

Here is how I made them:
I made a double recipe from what they had listed and formed them into meatballs instead of burger shapes since we were having pasta with them. These are all approximate measurements:

2 TBS finely chopped red onion
2 grated carrots
3 cloves minced garlic
vegetable oil

cook down for a few minutes in frying pan.

add 10 oz finely chopped portabella mushrooms,
2 tsps ground thyme,
salt and black pepper to taste,
1/2 c. dry wild rice and 1/2 c. white rice, (recipe called for red rice, you could also use brown) steam together just a couple of minutes and then add 2 cups boiling water. Simmer for about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile grind fresh brown bread crumbs...4 slices of bread.

Let the portabella rice mixture cool a little and mix with bread crumbs...form meat ball shapes.

I stuffed them with little cheese squares, - they are delicious as they are, or you could stuff with something else...soy cheese maybe or cherry tomatoes.

Brown in frying pan for a few minutes on either side.

Served with pasta and tomato sauce.

Also had Kale gumbo soup...(another attempt at a Wholefoods recipe that they were giving samples of a couple of months ago, but had no recipe for.)

Also had melon balls with a little mint extract and brown sugar...very refreshing.

~ Bonnie

Anonymous said...

the Portabellos have a particular great "meaty" texture.

~ B

Anonymous said...

sorry, "POrtObellO"

Barbara said...

Sounds good, Bonnie. And Angela, everyone has an "off" day once in awhile. Your meals today don't sound off to me. Off would be fast food all day. Yours still sound fantastic. You are amazing in the kitchen.

I still had potluck leftovers all day - for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

We've been enjoying a lot more fresh fruits and veggies and I've been drinking more water.

I won't say I've been perfect on my pledges (I did have a lot of them!) but I've definitely made progress!

Evening eating is the worst for me - after the kids go to bed and I clean up the kitchen, I really enjoy a nice cup of tea and a good book - andof course a snack to go with it. I've been making a conscious effort to make that snack less of a treat and more healthy!