Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Birthday Cake!

I made myself a cake for my birthday. I love the excuse to bake and maybe use a little sugar.Mmm...Veganomicon's Coconut-Lemon Bundt Cake. It is GOOD. Moist, flavorful, everything you would want from a cake. Make one for yourself...but don't wait until your birthday. I actually wanted to experiment with desserts since all my stand-bys for company are non-vegan and I haven't really found replacements. This is definitely one.

Coconut-Lemon Bundt Cake from Veganomicon

1 2/3 c sugar
2/3 c canola oil
1 (14-oz can) coconut milk
1/4 c rice or soy milk
1/4 c lemon juice
3 T finely grated lemon zest
2 t pure vanilla extract
3 c all-purpose flour
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
1 1/2 c shredded unsweetened coconut

Combine the sugar, oil, coconut milk, rice milk, lemon juice and zest, and vanilla. Stir to combine.

Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into the wet ingredients in batches, mixing well after each addition (I used a hand-held electric mixer). Fold in the coconut.

Pour batter into a greased Bundt pan and bake for about an hours at 350. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a cake stand. Once cooled, sift a sprinkling of confectioners' sugar over the top.

******Angela note: I decreased the amount of sugar by 1/2 cup to wonderful results. I used a 13.5-oz can of coconut milk. And I used the juice of two fresh lemons. Flour was unbleached all-purpose. I then made a glaze of lemon juice, rice milk, and confectioners' sugar for drizzling on top of the cake. I didn't measure--just added more sugar or liquid until the consistency was right.

I have cooked a little:

Farfalle primavera (with overcooked veggies...sigh) and salad

Broccoli and garlic with udon noodles
Potstickers
Oranges

Banana-walnut waffles with strawberries and bananas

Italian sausage and white bean stew (except with kidney beans)
Spinach and red leaf lettuce salad with brocco sprouts and balsamic vinaigrette
Bowl o berries

And guess what Whole Foods had stocked today:I'm as happy as a clam! Get you some. They are delicious!

You?

5 comments:

lazy susie said...

I made Curried Cauliflower Soup yesterday and then rushed off to watch my baby boy be a star/cloud in a Christmas Musical Thing where I sat on the bleachers desparately needing to empty my bladder while trying to make sure that my purse full of Belgian endive didn't dump out on the floor of the gym.

Today I'm making the fake Fettucini Alfredo that's been raved about on the Veganomicon boards. I'll let you know how it is.

Susan

j said...

so i'm not supposed to know i have this yet, but i have it- a book on vegan baking. :) i'll post about it post-christmas....but a question: this author advocates the use of chocolate. i did not ever in my wildest dreams think chocolate of any form was vegan. is this right? i'm confused.
anyway- a lot of interesting recipes and when i'm not feeling like crap and craving strange things, i may try it.
in between potato chip cravings, i consider vegetarianism/vegan living. i think post-pregnancy, when shane is gone and i have all the time in the world to indoctrinate k, i may start the transition. i miss vegennaise. so much better than mayo.
in the stages of change, i'm at contemplative, moving into action, and then reverting back. it's close. i can feel it.

j said...

ooh- i want to see if you comment back and forgot to check the box. remedy-ing that now.

angela | the painted house said...

Ha, Jen! Yeah, don't commit to anything dietwise while you are pregnant--anything goes to keep that belly happy! Oh, my Croissanwich days at the BK! Ew. Sorry, I hope that doesn't make you vomit! But, it is cool that you are thinking about it...even it weren't 100% but just small changes at home. Like the Vegenaise! I can't wait to hear about the Vegan baking book!

Nicole said...

what is the brand again?