Monday, March 10, 2008

A Reprieve!

We spent the weekend in Asheville where I didn't have to cook! We were pretty good vegans while out on the road--except for one time. While at Garren and Kelley's house, Garren's sis-in-law Erin offered Clayton a slice of her freshly-made apple pie. He accepted; and I didn't want to chastise him like a little boy in front of everyone (he thought it was vegan). So what did I do? I jumped on that bandwagon as fast as I could. Oh, delicious warm apple pie. Other than that, we were able to stay the course. Now Clayton knows that pie crust is typically not vegan.

We came home just in time for dinner last night so it was something quick.

Sunday D
Black beans over brown rice
Vegan burger tamales
Salsa
Salad with mangos, oranges, pear, and kiwi

B
Banana, blueberry, raspberry flaxseed meal smoothie
Granola

L
Hummus wraps with spinach, brocco sprouts, and shredded carrots
Pretzels
Leftover fruit salad

D
Cabbage and potato soup
Sundried tomato dip with carrots and zucchini chips
Spelt crackers
Red grapes

The dip is a recipe out of my new Veganomicon cookbook. I think if you like the tang of sundried tomatoes, then you would love this dip. It was too strong for me and Clayton--and so goes the experimenting. Win some, lose some.

Tonight I made these WONDERFUL cookies. I don't even know how many I have eaten. No sugar, no dairy...but there is a half cup of vegan margarine. These will be a favorite of mine.

Thumbprint Granola Cookies

1 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup granola
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 salt
1 egg or egg replacer for one egg
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup honey
1 t vanilla
Jam of your choice

Combine first fivce ingredients. In another bowl, beat remainings ingredients, except jam. Combine both mixtures together well. Allow dough to chill for one hour. Form dough into balls and place on lightly oiled cookie sheet. Make slight indentions in middle of each cookie and fill with 1 teaspoon of jam. Bake for 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees.

***Angela note: I used granola I had made last week that has flax seeds, and I used strawberry jam. I also used Ener-G Egg Replacer.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

The cookies look great - I'll have to try them since I'm making a pretty good effort at watching the sugar and eating healthier in general.

Don't worry about the apple pie - I'm sure one little slip isn't going to make a difference at all in the overall scheme of things and it sounds like you did the right thing by just enjoying it! :)

I don't like sundried tomatoes, so the dip doesn't sound great to me, but the soup does. I love cabbage. Can you post that recipe?

As I said yesterday, we ate out all weekend. Today was no better. Jacob and Michela had dance from 3:30 to 6:30, Harrison was home. Then we had Harrison's honor band concert at school from 7 to 9. Harrison had chicken noodle soup, carrots, a bagel and cream cheese and an apple before he needed to get to the concert. Jacob and Michela had taco bell bean burritos, carrots and apples in the car driving from dance to school and Marlon and I are going to have vegetable/lentil soup and grilled cheese sandwiches and apples right now.

Not too bad for a crazy day/night.

angela | the painted house said...

Barbara, you really should try the cookies==light and fluffy and delicious. I am sending them to school with Ashton tomorrow for his snack. I will be interested to hear how they are received!

The soup was just sauteed onion, garlic, celery, carrots, cabbage and then added a can of drained diced tomatoes, water, marjoram, thyme, a bay leaf, s&p, and let cook until tender and flavorful.