These muffins are our traditional Christmas morning muffins. I veganized them last Christmas by using Earth Balance for the butter, rice milk, and ENER-G egg replacer. I also reduced the sugar by a third. And they tasted just as delicious as always!
Maple-Drizzled Apple Muffins
1 1/3 cups flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 egg
2 cups grated, peeled apple
pecans
Glaze:1/3 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
Combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon. In another bowl, mix milk, butter, syrup and egg; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apples. Fill muffin cups. Top with pecans. Bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes. Mix together powdered sugar and maple sugar for glaze and drizzle on top of cooled muffins.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Angela,
Just discovered your blog today via a friend. I am so thankful to have found you! I just read a book about becoming vegan over Christmas, and I have been totally convicted about the health benefits. But I need help!!! It's been almost 2 weeks around here without meat. Good 'ole mom needs to come up with some new recipes fast because I think the natives (husband and two little boys) are starting to get restless! Thanks for the ideas!
Jenny,
Thanks for commenting! The beginning is hard--you are changing life-long eating and cooking habits. But hooray for getting to the two week mark!! It gets easier, I promise! Have you ever tried vegetarianism or veganism before? The best advice I could offer is find a vegan cookbook that you connect with--uses ingredients you like and know, feels comfortable and not too foreign. That will be a lifesaver until you feel comfortable branching out on your own. I obsessively love Veganomicon and Vegan with a Vengeance.
I hope you keep reading and let us know your experience!
Angela
Just found your blog this morning and wanted to try the muffins. I didn't have apples in the house, but proceeded anyway. They are in the oven as I type. Hope it works...Maple Oatmeal Muffins. What do you think?
Cheers!
Rita
Post a Comment