This is so rich and creamy that it could easily pass for dairy--except it misses that greasiness from the fat. It could adapt to any meal by changing the seasonings. Here is the recipe as written, and then I will share how I changed it.
Cream Gravy
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup blanched almonds (without skin)
3 cups water, divided
5 T flour
2 t nutritional yeast (optional)
Saute onion and garlic in one tablespoon of water in skillet. Cover and let onion steam until tender. Add more water if needed to prevent onion from burning.
In blender, blend almonds with 1 cup of water until smooth. Add flour, any seasonings, and yeast flakes and blend well.
Add blended mixture to skillet with onion and garlic and bring to a boil. Add remaining 2 cups water slowly to achieve desired consistency. Stir constantly until thickened.
*****How I changed it: I sauteed onions and garlic in a little grapeseed oil, and I added portabello mushrooms since I was making gravy for pecan & rice patties. I used cornstarch instead of flour. I didn't use the nutritional yeast. I added sage, salt, and lots of freshly ground black pepper. It was SO YUMMY! Try this! Now, if I could just make some healthy biscuits for a good Southern breakfast.
Monday, September 08, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
This sounds sooo good! It think white country gravy is hard to duplicate vegan and boy! do I miss it. I'll have to try this.
I went to a vegan cooking class at the church a couple of weeks ago and the food was fantastic! Rich with amazing flavors. He has a cookbook coming out end of the year sometime.Check him out at www.atyourservicechefs.com
Being a Northern gal, I've never been interested in the whole biscuits and gravy thing...but this looks great. I'll be trying it on something once the weather cools. Dreamy Husband rides his bike home from work and is too hot and sweaty to want winter food right now. I'm sure it will be very appealing in a month.
Ah, Nicole, are you gonna make me find that??? :)
Post a Comment