This morning the kids and I made a fruit juice on the juicer: pineapple, oranges, and strawberries. Oh, so fresh and delicious! Juliet guzzled hers down.
Tempeh salad on spinach and red leaf lettuce
Hummus and spelt crackers
Oranges, blueberries, and raspberries
The tempeh salad is one you have to try! It was my first time with tempeh, a soybean product, and it felt like I was eating chicken salad. Clayton liked it, too; but the kids...not so much. I put theirs on bread for a sandwich.
For dinner we had Michelle's leftover lentil soup from yesterday with sliced tomatoes. And I just finished off the rest of the tempeh salad--it's good, people!
I tried another bread recipe in the bread maker, an oat with cinnamon and raisins loaf. It is cooling right now, but I don't think it is a keeper. Most of the raisins are on the crust--apparently they didn't get mixed in--and they scorched as the crust baked. And, I put the loaves on the "light" crust setting and the crust is still really dark! I need to check the manual.
Baked Sweet Potatoes
2 sweet potatoes
maple syrup to taste
1/4 cup vanilla rice milk
1/2 T vanilla extract
Topping:
Cinnamon
1/2 maple syrup
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup chopped pecans
Roast sweet potatoes in a 400 degree oven for one hour. Scoop potatoes from jacket and mash with maple syrup, milk, and vanilla extract. Smooth into a casserole dish sprayed with Pam. Sprinkle sweet potatoes with cinnamon. Combine topping ingredients and spread over potatoes. Bake for 20 minutes at 300 degrees.
Tempeh Salad
1 8-oz. package tempeh, diced and steamed for 20 minutes
2 T vegetable broth
1 medium unpeeled red apple, cored and chopped
juice from half a lemon
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup shredded carrots
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup chopped red onions
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
3/4 cup Vegenaise (vegan mayonnaise)
3/4 teaspoon curry powder
2 T Bragg's Liquid Aminos (soy sauce substitute)
Heat vegetable broth in a pan and saute tempeh until golden brown. Remove from heat and while it is cooling, toss apple, lemon juice, celery, pecans, and onions into a bowl. Add Vegenaise, curry, and Bragg's Liquid Aminos. Toss tempeh into salad to mix. Serve with crackers, on greens, or on sandwich bread.
5 comments:
Wow, that dinner looks amazing!! So fresh and healthy and colorful! Mine, I am sad to say, was a bit lacking (make that a LOT lacking) in the health department. We ate at a BBQ restaurant, and I had chicken strips, baked beans and potato salad. Not much nutritious about that meal.
I also didn't drink my full amount of water today, as I didn't want to have to run to the bathroom during the movie (a sorry excuse, I know). But now I feel parched, and am drinking enough to make up for it.
I'm glad you guys are getting lots of help with food bills, I know those shopping trips at Whole Foods can add up fast, especially when you are stocking your pantry!
Still praying for you all here in KS.
I love chicken salad so I'll have to try the tempeh.
the way you organized all of the recipes is great. It makes it so much easier. Thanks.
I have a new vegan one to add - a variation on the quinoa that I've been making. Today I took leftover quinoa from the other day and put it in a pan with olive oil. I added mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and leftover broccoli and cooked it for a few minutes. It was great.
For us tonight:
-pizza (delivered)
-quinoa dish
-green salad
-carrots and celery
-cut up grapes
You are an incredible homemaker. Your family is so lucky to have you in their court. Love you!
It seems like I've had that problem with raisins in my bread machine before, too. I haven't used it in a while, so I don't know what the solution is.
It makes complete sense to change your diet when you're sick (even when you're not)! We tend to think we should indulge ourselves instead.
The fruit is beautiful!
In my effort to stick to my promise...
I have not had soda - harder than I thought.
I have been drinking more water (almost up to 8 cups)
We added fish to our menu, once a week, and at least two vegetarian meals a week. Finally I bought Skinny Bitch. Hopefully some improvements in our house :) We are thinking of you Clayton as we go through this.
Not proud enough yet to post everything I am eating but I will get there.
Post a Comment