Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Back to Cooking

Do you know how gross it feels to live on a diet mainly of fast food? We have tried to eat as well as possible through our move, but it has been hard. I did a big trip to the grocery store today and bought lots of fresh food--promising myself that I would find time to prepare it all. I had a nice dinner planned tonight but that was shelved when Clayton had lunch leftovers to eat for dinner so I just made mac & cheese for me and the kids. At least I prepared something in my own home.

Macaroni & cheese (from a box)
Green beans
Fruit salad with cherries, strawberries, blueberries, nectarines, and green grapes

Ashton declared the meal delicious--of course, it's mac & cheese from a box. Then Clayton swiped my plate from which to eat fruit, leaving me no plate for my second helping of macaroni. And, no, I don't feel like dirtying up another plate these days. So I ate the rest of the mac from the pan I cooked it in. Then Clayton says, "Is this the lowest you have ever sank: eating boxed macaroni and cheese from the pan you cooked it in?"

Anyway, I hope to cook a little more now until the baby sends me back on cooking vacation.

You?

7 comments:

Barbara said...

Yay - you're back! I've been reading the other blog too, of course, but faithfully checking this one for news of your cooking again. I've been cooking, but didn't post every meal because the comments would have been too long. I figured I'd wait until you started blogging your meals again. I haven't made anything that spectacular anyway!

Tonight's dinner wasn't much different than yours - and I don't have moving as an excuse!

We had:

-hotdogs cooked on the George Forman grill (just like bbq'ing)
-vegetarian baked beans (from a can)
-saurkraut (from a jar)
-canteloupe and sliced apples
-corn (from a can)
-for dessert - chocolate covered pretzels (from a bag)

Does assembling it all count for anything? :)

Anonymous said...

Barbara, are you a big fan of the George Forman grill? I've heard they are really great.

angela | the painted house said...

Assembling does count!!!! Heck, yeah!

We had a GF grill once, a long time ago, we used it a time or two and then sold it at a garage sale. Maybe ours wasn't a good model. We had such high hopes for it.

Barbara said...

I do really like the George Forman. I probably don't use it for as many things as I could, but it does hot dogs really well and I use it for hamburgers and turkey burgers and grilled cheese sandwiches. I tried it once for lamb chops, but THAT was a disaster. In fact a funny story. Nicole, do you remember it? A long story, but basically I spent $30 on lamb chops for a treat. Probably bought the wrong cut of lamb chops anyway but I didn't know what I was doing. I put on them on the GF and they were too thick, so the ones near the back got burned before the ones near the front got cooked. I finally got them all pretty cooked and took them to the table. There was so much fat to cut off that I would cut it off, give a small piece that was left to one kid and they'd be totally done eating that before I could cut the next one. Some were too rare and some were too well done. About 6 were perfect (the ones in the middle) so the kids ate those and liked them. By the time I got around to cutting the fat off of mine, they were totally cold and really gross, so I ended up giving about 6 lambchops (worth something like $15) to the dog, who totally enjoyed them, but then threw up in the middle of the night! Marlon was out of town, so he missed the whole lamb chop fiasco.

So, needless to say, I don't cook lambchops anymore. Or steak b/c I don't do that well either. Some things are just meant to be eaten in a restaurant!

But I do like the George Forman and would love to use it more -- along with my cuisinart, crock pot and bread maker!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you both Angela and Barbara for your opinions on the GF. I might just have to get me one.

angela | the painted house said...

Barbara, isn't that always the risk with buying expensive meat? I spent $20 on fish (I can't remember what kind now) for me and Clayton and I ruined it. And I thought it was supposed to be easy to cook fish!

Barbara said...

Try Tilapia - it's a pretty easy one to cook. I make it with fresh salsa and a little bit of cheese on it, then bake it. Part of my problem with fish is overcooking it b/c it's hard to tell when it's done.