Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Still Cooking

Pasta salad with carrots, broccoli, tomatoes, onion, cucumber and feta served over baby spinach
Warm hummus and pita bread
Sliced cantelope
Fruit salad with cherries, strawberries, blueberries, nectarines, and green grapes

For some reason the kids refused to eat the broccoli in the pasta salad--very strange. They usually gobble it up. Maybe it was because I blanched it before adding it to the pasta. I don't know.

I'm craving coffee right now but have no energy to go buy one. Plus, I'll be up peeing all night.

You?

5 comments:

Barbara said...

sounds yummy. I'll have to make the pasta salad. What kind of noodles did you use?

I have a recipe to share! I got it from the Trader Joes guy who cooks stuff for people to sample. It's a bread thing.

-take a loaf of crusty french or sourdough bread (they were using this Artisan bread thing)
-cut it in half in the middle to have a top and bottom, not a front and back (does that make sense?)
-rub top of each half with olive oil and then spread with a spinach artichoke spread from Trader Joes
-sprinkle with cheese - I used goat cheese, but they used mozzarella
-bake at 400 for 20 minutes. It was awesome!

I served it with:

-fresh baby zucchinis (steamed)
-chicken baked with bbq sauce
-yams baked then mashed up with some butter and brown sugar
-strawberries

for dessert, we were at a PTA meeting at school so there was cookies and stuff there.

Anonymous said...

If you need a nostalgic home cooked breakfast...
The Blueberry Cornmeal pancake recipe in Better Homes & Gardens cookbook is fabulous...They are very cake-like and have a hint of cinnamon...a new favorite. And they are very easy to make :)

Peggy said...

We ate at Jason's Deli. I had the salad bar and Robin had pasta with meatballs.

Barbara said...

Bonnie,

Can you post the recipe? that sounds great!

Barbara

Anonymous said...

Blueberry-Cornmeal Pancakes
-Better Homes & Gardens - 12th Edition

Prep: 10 min, Cook: 4 min. per batch, Makes; 8 - 10 (I found it made about 6)

1 C. all purpose flour (haha I spelled it correctly this time!!)
2 TBS cornmeal
1 TBS sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 beaten egg
1 C. buttermilk or sour milk (I actually used thick soy milk, because that is what I had that needed to be used up first)
2 TBS cooking oil
1 C. fresh or frozen blueberries
Maple or Blueberry Syrup (optional)

I will abbreviate the cooking instructions here:
1. Mix dry ingredients
2. Mix wet ingredients, except for berries. Combine dry and wet together until just moistened (should be a little lumby) then gently fold in the berries.
3. 1/4 batter on hot lightly greased griddle/skillet. Cooking time: about 2mins on each side...or golden brown.