Monday, September 24, 2007

Cooking But Not Posting

I have been in the kitchen but not cooking anything really grand. Lots of soup, sandwiches, salads, haystacks, blueberry pancakes... I don't know why I haven't posted about it. Maybe it is the newborn?

You?

2 comments:

Barbara said...

I don't have the newborn excuse, but still haven't made anything terribly exciting lately. Also a lot of soups, salads, sandwiches, pastas, easy stuff. We've just been so busy. With activities that don't end until 6 or 6:30, it's hard to come home and start cooking, plus then it's time for homework and all that.

I did make a nice dinner friday night for us and some guests for the holiday of Yom Kippur.

I took a great short cut for my matza ball soup and it was delicious and so easy! I'll put the "recipe" at the end.

-apples with honey (traditional for the holiday)
-Challah bread
-chicken soup with matza balls and bow tie noodles
-baked breaded chicken
-potato kugel (like a casserole)
-frozen spinach
-applesauce cups
-store bought desserts: delectable chocolate cupcakes, mini carrot cakes frosted w/cream cheese frosting, and a cinamon twist thing, cut up

the soup:

Matza balls -- I use the Maneshevitz mix for these, found in the Kosher/Jewish section of the grocery store
Usually I make my own chicken soup from scratch (putting chicken and veggies in a pot all day) but this time I took a shortcut:

--2 boxes of chicken broth
--1 package of fresh "just chicken" from Trader Joes (it's cooked chicken, not frozen, just refrigerated, fully cooked)
-1 package of bow tie noodles, cooked
-1 package of baby carrots, boiled
-Mix it all together and it tasted like homemade jewish chicken soup!

-For the baked chicken, I just took chicken breast (boneless/skinless), dipped them in milk, then dipped them in corn flake breading, then baed at 350 for about 40 minutes

-That was friday. Sat we were at a friend's house for dinner. last night we went to the Elephant Bar.

Tonight I took the leftover chickena and cut it up in to small pieces. I put it on top of cooked pasta noodles (Rigatoni) and made a quick and easy sauce of one can of Campbell's cream of mushroom soup and one can of milk.
-I served it with canned corn, sliced tomates and fresh strawberries.

Anonymous said...

I haven't been able to stand the though of anything poultry since I have been pregnant, but that soup sounds delicious!!
I have been cooking, but taking a little help from the store on things that I would normally make from scratch :)