Thursday, November 15, 2007

A Mid-Autumn's Night Meal

I made Bonnie's Lentil & Barley soup tonight. It was hearty and delicious. I added chopped spinach at the end since I like to sneak that leafy green in when I can.

Lentil & barley soup topped with freshly grated parmesan
Twice-baked potatoes topped with broccoli and sharp cheddar
Multi-grain bread
Red grapes
Hot-from-the-oven apple crisp

It is amazing what all I can cook up when Callan takes a marathon nap. And, yes, I am hooked on the apple crisp right now. I'm glad it takes a little effort to peel all the apples otherwise I would be making and eating it everyday.

Whatcha got cookin', Goodlookin'?

4 comments:

Barbara said...

I was lazy when I made the apple crisp a couple of weeks ago and I *didn't* peel the apples. It came out fine. And I used the excuse that the skin is healthy.

I had hoped to cook tonight, but with homework and a PTA meeting, there just wasn't time.

So, we had:

veggie soup (canned, though)
french toast
scrambled eggs
grapes
no dessert

Tomorrow we're going to a friend's house for Shabbat dinner, but hopefully I'll cook something on sat night!!!

Anonymous said...

Even Barbara's "I didn't have time to cook" looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Is this Apple Crisp recipe posted somewhere? Sounds yummo.

Today: Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup that will cure anything...as will the smell of it bubbling and steaming away on the stove.

Fresh hot from the oven biscuits Homestyle buttermilk, so easy :))

Pumpkin pie...I always make the filling from scratch, but usually take help from the store on pastry...have found by cooking pies on baking sheets, you get the perfectly baked all the way through crusts every time.

Took dinner to our Aunt & Uncle who are recovering from China jet lag, colds, and going on two days with no sleep.

The soup is a very close variation of C's Grandmother's amazing recipe...nothing is really measured, but it is hard to mess this one up:

one huge stock pot
rinse and add one whole fresh chicken to pot(I use natural hormone free)
cover over with water by a couple of inches

add to the pot:
1 large quartered onion - this will be removed later, so leave chunky
2 chopped carrots
4 - 5 stalks of chopped celery
1 clove minced garlic
8 - 10 pepper corns
2 bay leaves

Bring to boil, Cook all together simmering until chicken is tender and soft.

Take the chicken out to cool.

Drain the vegetables and seasonings, saving the stock! I use a colander over a huge mixing bowl.

Poor the stock back into the pot.

I sift through the strained goods and add some of the carrots and celery back in to the soup, also adding salt to the water to prepare for cooking noodles and some preseasoning. Bring back to boil.

At this time I add the egg noodles...large handful...cook 5 - 7 minutes, while de-boning the chicken.

Break chicken into strips and add to soup...

Add a little more boiling water to stock if needed for desired consistency.

Finish seasoning to taste...I just use salt at this stage because the whole pot already cooked for about an hour with the pepper corns and other flavours.

This makes an enormous amount of soup...
if you don't know what to do with left overs it is good thickened up and served over mashed potatoes as another meal.

Barbara said...

Thanks, Donna! At least it wasn't fast food, which I've been known to do on busy nights!

The soup sounds great, Bonnie. Thanks.

For my apple crisp, all I did was buy this "apple crisp" mix in the produce section of the grocery store. You add marjarine to it and put it over the apples, which I didn't even peel. It was great.