If you are an Adventist, then you have had some kind of vegetarian loaf--even if you don't like them and never cook them. You've had it at potluck after church, at another Adventist's home for Sabbath lunch, or your Adventist mom made it in your childhood. If you are not familiar, a loaf is a meat substitute that can be made out of many different things: there is lentil loaf, chik loaf (which my friend Rachael makes a killer chik loaf), gluten loaf, and cottage cheese loaf (aka Special K loaf) among others. I grew up on cottage cheese loaf--mmm, it's yummy! I don't make it often, but it sounded so good for tonight. The magic main ingredients to make this meatloaf-esque dish are Special K cereal, cottage cheese, and pecans.
Cottage cheese loaf
Roasted-garlic mashed potatoes
Carrots
Spinach salad
Cantaloupe and strawberries
The loaf is vegetarian, but that doesn't mean it is healthful--with one stick of melted butter. Juliet ate like an 18-year-old boy--she loved her first experience with cottage cheese loaf. Here comes the next gen of loaf cookers!
Ashton picked at his plate and said he was full and only wanted strawberries. I told him to eat a few more carrots then he would be done. "Okay," he said, "I'll eat 11." He then proceeded to eat 11 carrots rounds, one after another. Clayton then said, "I bet you can't eat 15!" He ate four more, then looked at Daddy and stuck another carrot in his mouth and declared, "16!" What a stinker!
What was on your dinner plate?
Wednesday, August 23, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
And then there is African Loaf...if you have ever spent any any amount of time at an Adventist mission station in Africa you know what that is, but may wish you didn't - it's everything you can possible find, green beans, bread crumbs, maybe a few flies (just kidding I hope) and throw in an egg or two to hold it together, and bake 30 minutes. Saving grace: Mangos, Papaya and Avocados on the side.
Last night I went out with a girlfriend to an old college town...we went to a quaint little Mexican restaurant and drank Brazillian Lemonade (coconut & lemon rind from what I could tell) and then wandered around with homemade vanilla bean ice cream...this little ice cream store even makes their own waffle cones. (Caleb enjoyed an evening to himself and from what I can tell had healthy McDonalds) I am going grocery shopping this weekend where upon I promise to fill the fridge with irresistible healthiness.
typos, sorry:(
Hmm, I've never heard of African loaf. Have you spent some time in Africa? I think I would just make a dinner out of the condiments.
3 months in Melawi E. Africa
I love cottage cheese loaf! We had pancakes. I visited with Maurine at the nursing home and decided a simple dinner was best. Tonight is stuffed green peppers, baked potatoes slices, and corn.
I probably had cottage cheese loaf, does that surprise you?
Post a Comment