Tuesday, May 06, 2008

The Poor Neglected Child

Dear Blog, I haven't forgotten about you. I've been swamped. And tired. Thanks for understanding!

So we have been eating lots of leftovers and salads. And when we weren't eating leftovers, we have been eating yummy food from friend Heidi who is also vegan. She brought us a ton of goodies on Sunday to help lighten the cooking load for me post chemo. What a treat! We had her Northern Italian soup with pasta yesterday and her veggie lasagna with tofu ricotta tonight. Yum! I have also been enjoying the Vitamix and lots of smoothies.

Heidi brought fixings for this salad:

cabbage, spinach (from her garden), shredded carrots, and sesame crackers. I added, per her suggestion, one teaspoon toasted sesame oil and one teaspoon rice vinegar. The kids loved this salad, too!

Heidi also wowed us with the cheese dip she made from cashews and pimentos. I'll have to get the recipe. I sprinkled it with a little chili powder and a dash of Tabasco--since it was Cinco de Mayo and everything yesterday. The kids lapped it up just like it was actual chile con queso. Fooled again!

Something the kids have liked recently: a can of Amy's No Chicken soup with added fresh chopped spinach and crumbled crackers on top. An easy, yummy lunch.

And, I have perfected the whole wheat bread recipe. Check here.

Also, check the pecan and rice patties recipe as I have also edited it.

What have you all been up to in the kitchen? Tried anything vegan yet? How has the family reacted?

1 comment:

Nicole said...

did you get the recipe. really wanting this as daniel can't eat milk products!!