Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Easy-Schmeasy!

When I bought groceries this week I vowed to make easy meals. I'm getting tired! So dinner last night was dumping a bag of frozen ravioli in a dish and covering it with jarred sauce. I did sprinkle mozzerella and fresh parmesan and oregano on top.

Baked ravioli
Green salad
Steamed broccoli
Mozzerella-parmesan toasts--on organic rosemary bread
Fruit salad with cherries, strawberries, blueberries, and apple

I resisted a bedtime snack. And tried to satisfy my craving with a cup of apple juice.

You?

Bonnie, please post your cashew-turnip patties.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Parsnip Cashew Patties

My mother used to make these when we growing up...they were my dad's favorite. (Her original recipe from a Vegan cookbook she wrote about 15 yrs ago)

I don't measure exactly and neither did my mother...but here is what I did the other day and they were very tasty...

Large mixing bowl add:
2 cups grated (raw) parsnips
2 cups steamed cubed potatoes...then mashed
2/3 cup ground cashews (I ground mine in my little handy dandy nut grinder from Rach:)
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp sage
2 TBS grated raw onion (my mother used more, but I go easy because of Caleb)
salt to taste (1 to 1 1/2 tsp ?)

Mix very well and shape into round flat 1/2" thick patties. Roll each side in fine seasoned breads crumbs.

Fry in pan with a little vegetable oil...don't pat down in the pan otherwise the potatoes will melt and they loose their shape.

I covered them for a few minutes on either side just to make sure they were cooked through, but then also cooked uncovered so that they would brown and get a little crispy. (My mother used to bake them in the oven)

This made 9 patties...I cooked 3 at a time and added a little more oil in between each cooking batch.
Serve with ketchup.

OK...my mother called me back after I had already made them...her seasoning difference was to go light or not even add the herbs, because of the strong parsnip flavour...she would use paprika as the main seasoning. Other than that I had it right :) and they are good both ways. Have fun!