Monday, June 25, 2007

Monday's Quesadillas

I cooked tonight but not happily.

Veggie quesadillas with zucchini, carrot, onion, green pepper, garlic, and cilantro
Black bean and corn salad
Fruit salad with strawberries, peaches, cherries, blueberries, green grapes, nectarines--so pretty

The salad was a new recipe I'm trying for the party on Sunday. It was tasty but I need to add more lime juice.

You?

10 comments:

Barbara said...

Ok, we finally ate a meal at the kitchen table that I cooked in our very own kitchen. It's only been TWO WEEKS!

I still haven't made it to the grocery store (except for quick runs to get milk, eggs, bread, fruit and veggies, etc.) Haven't bought any dinner foods.

But I put together a decent meal:

-angel hair pasta
-sauce of cooked roma tomatoes with a little bit of onion and garlic seasonsing
-frozen green beans
-fresh berries

Felt good to cook and eat at home!

Anonymous said...

Monday night: Tacos with all the goodies including avocado, who cares about the rest?!

Tuesday night:
Marinated grilled chicken
Fresh Mango chutney, always a favorite of ours
Rice
Vegetable curry...made as I went and turned out to be a recipe worth repeating.
Icecream.

Barbara said...

Cooked again! I'm making up for lost time! :)

Wed night:

-bean burritos with tortillas, cheese, fresh salsa
-quesadillas
-baked potatoes
-tomato bisque soup (canned)
-sliced apples
-fresh baked chocolate chip cookies for dessert

Anonymous said...

and for us last night...
(Angela, we are just holding the blog fort here, hehehe - hopefully we will all keep you entertained while you don't have time? to blog :) Hopefully you have time to read at least.)

Here is a very easy meal to make!

Broccoli rice casserole (fluffy brown rice, steamed fresh broccoli, frozen corn steamed, quick & easy cream sauce: butter, flower, milk, nutmeg, salt & pepper, ...mix all together and put in a casserole dish, sprinkle shredded mozzarella on top)- then bubble and brown a little in the oven.

salad

Texas toast

...and for lunch today since C will be home...it's a rainy day here, hence soup in summer...pea soup conveniently pulled from the freezer and then I browned morning star sausage which I will crumble in when it heats...since we don't do piggy. All the good looking pea soup recipes always have a ham hock.

Anonymous said...

DID I SERIOUSLY SAY ADD "FLOWER" TO THE CREAM SAUCE? Oh good grief, I'll blame it on the warm furry purring kitty on my lap.

angela | the painted house said...

Thank you for keeping the gears well-oiled here, Bonnie and Barbara. I honestly feel so yucky from all the bad eating we have been doing. Crazy week with sick kids and errands. Maybe tomorrow night I will cook?

Barbara said...

We had two of those kind of weeks, so I sympathize.

I "cooked" tonight, but it was mostly just assembling! We had a picnic in the backyard...

-sandwiches with turkey, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes
-potato chips
-watermelon
-raw baby carrots
-fresh lemonade
-cookies for dessert

We had three other families over after swim team and ate, played with the dogs in the park and let the kids have a water balloon toss. It was fun.

Anonymous said...

m'Lords & m'Ladies, may I entice you to read aloud this recipe?!

My inspiration for this recipe? I asked Caleb what I should make for dinner. He said "Lasagna!" so that combined with it being a rainy day, and perhaps the odd wiring of my brain, I was inspired to make this which I have now gained a big head over and dubbed the recipe: (Insert French accent here) "Ess-quiz-ette Chikon Vegetable Pooot Pi". It is infinitely delicious, and irrationally irresistible. You will enjoy loong life and appiness for every bite you try.

Cook as you go, that's how I do it ;) Measurements are by my approximation, and on a whim anything could land in there.

Ingredients you will need:
Smart Chicken thighs, celery, onion, olive oil, sage, carrots, Yukon Gold potatoes, frozen peas, milk, white flour for thickening, shredded soft white cheese, salt, black pepper, home style biscuits, butter, cherry tomatoes.

First cook the chicken as follows:

In a large deep frying pan:
2 - 3 TBS olive oil
1/2 an onion diced
4 chicken thighs
sprinkle dried rubbed sage over the chicken (about 1 tsp)

Cover and simmer for about 20 - 30 minutes on a medium to low heat, turning once or twice throughout cooking time...until soft, juicy and marinated with flavour.

While the chicken is cooking prepare vegetables. In a steamer pot add:
1 1/2 c. diced Yukon gold potatoes
3 diced medium sized carrots

Steam until just soft testing with a fork, about 20 mins.

Remove Chicken from pan to separate dish to cool. Save the stock that remains in the pan! and add 1/3 head chopped celery to it. Cook until barely soft. Leave in pan on low heat.

While the celery is softening, drop your steamed potatoes & carrots into a large mixing bowl. Also remove chicken from bones and pull into strips adding also to the same large bowl.
Make certain to drop pieces of fat and bristle for your pets for good luck! Oops, I mean good lick!

I continue to make the sauce in two steps as follows:

1. Separately, whisk cold milk about 1 c. & flour (about 2TBS) briskly until smooth, then add to celery for about 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add 1 c. shredded white (Romano? can't rememberano) cheese to celery sauce mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste. Take off heat and add to big mixing bowl with potatoes, carrots and chicken.

2. Repeat measurements of milk, flower, cheese, but add to the bowl with other ingredients without cooking this time. You could eliminate this step by adding more milk & flour & seasoning in step 1 or doing all in step 2, but I eyeball everything adding as I go for what looks right. That is the secret ingredient!!

Now and finally, stir in 1/2 bag of frozen peas. Mix all together and season again with salt & pepper for a final taste test...1/2 a tsp tasting will do here...remember raw flour isn't the most appetizing of flavours. Pour into casserole dishes. Cover and bake at 350F for 30 - 40 minutes.

10 - 20 minutes into baking, place biscuits in oven to bake on separate baking sheets...no I did not make these by hand from scratch. I used Home style Refrigerated biscuits. 350 F for about 15 or 20 minutes.

Serving:

Cut biscuits in half and place around the edge of the plate as your pseudo crust, dot with a little butter. Pour hot bubbling ladles of the thick yummy filling in the middle of the plate. Dot the plate with cherry tomatoes for garnish, and a fresh bite for crisp texture between stuffing your face with soft mushy comfort food. It is the Art of Cooking that I love. Enjoy.

Barbara said...

Sounds good, Bonnie. I'll have to try it. Did you notice you said "flower" again?! :)

angela | the painted house said...

Bonnie, I think I would love to hear YOUR lovely voice read aloud that recipe. Sounds so good--sometimes the craving for a pot pie is overwhelming. And, yes, I love that you wrote "flower" again--how charming.