Friday, February 13, 2009

Alfredo, It's True!

Last night I finally tried the vegan fettuccine alfredo recipe that Susan blogged about. It was a hit with the family. I didn't have Worchestshire sauce to use and I subbed cornstarch for arrowroot and I added a ton of garlic--alfredo sauce to me has lotsa garlic. It has a great creamy texture and satisfying taste. I'd say that it is a fair substitute for the real deal, which says a lot when you consider the ingredients in non-vegan alfredo sauce. The first bite did seem to have a real soy taste to me--whether it was from the tofu or soy milk, I'm not sure. But I didn't taste it after that. I may try to revise this recipe by using cashews or almonds. I rather have my fat coming from nuts than the 1/2 cup of Earth Balance vegan margarine. So that is my take on it!

Thursday

D

Fettuccine alfredo with marinated mushrooms
Peas
Spinach and red leaf lettuce salad with carrots and balsamic viniagrette
Bowl o berries

Friday

L
Leftover fettuccine
Spinach and red leaf lettuce salad with toasted almonds and garlic viniagrette
Acai berry, tofu, flax seed, and banana smoothie

D
Vegetable masala over brown rice
Pineapple, strawberry, coconut, banana, and flaxseed smoothie

I finally posted the masala recipe--try it! It is so good!

1 comment:

lazy susie said...

I agree with you on the fat from nuts thing...if I could only eat those nuts. I'm feeling a little whiney about that right now.

Have you made the Alfreda from Vegan with a Vengeance? I want to try that also.

I really, really missed my kitchen and my food while away on my mother/daughter trip. I had a delicious dinner when I got home!