Wednesday, August 15, 2007

No Cooking, But Notable

I worked hard today in the house and spent a lot of quality time with the kids, too; and all that equals exhaustion for me by the end of the day. So we tried a crepe restaurant in town for dinner. SO YUMMY! They have a huge selection of savory crepes and a tempting line-up of sweet ones, too. I think this place will be a favorite for sure!

You?

5 comments:

Barbara said...

I've been cooking... and cooking... and cooking...

I think I've ran our dishwasher twice a day every day for the last few days.

Our family grew by 3 overnight, but by three 16 year old atheletes who eat a TON. The Jewish Macabbi Games (an Olympic like sports competition for Jewish teens ages 13-16) is in our city this week, being hosted by our JCC. Being part of the Jewish community, we decided to be one of the 300 host families so we have these three guys staying with us from Queens, New York. There are 4000 Jewish atheletes here.

It's been incredible. Such a wonderful experience for our kids, who are loving having these boys around. They are nice, funny, polite, and really good with our kids.

But boy can they eat.

so, here's what I've been cooking:

Sunday (the day they came in) - early dinner before big opening ceremony at the basketball arena:

-chicken
-mashed potatoes
-pinto beans
-rice
-tortillas
-salad
-watermelon

I planned on having dessert after the ceremony, but they were hungry again so we also had:

turkey and roast beef sandwiches on baguettes
grapes
crackers
brownies (homemade)

Monday breakfast:

scrambled eggs (18 of them!)
bacon
bagels and cream cheese
all kinds of fresh berries

Monday lunch they were at competitions

Monday dinner:

spaghetti with meat sauce
bow tie noodles with pesto sauce
salad w/tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, blue cheese
garlic bread
ice cream sundaes for dessert (AFTER we went to a family fun center and played mini golf and rode go karts, then went swimming)

Tues breakfast:

I let them choose from about 6 different cold cereals
blueberry muffins
frozen waffles
bananas

Tues lunch and dinner - they were with their competition, so we ate leftover pasta

Wed breakfast:

breakfast sandwiches with sausage, eggs and cheese on english muffins
hashed brown potatoes
melons

lunch and dinner they were with their competitions and we ate dinner out b/c I was so tired of cooking.

But Marlon just called from the car - he picked them up at their evening activity (it's 10 p.m.) and guess what - they're hungry? So I've got frozen pizzas in the oven and fresh baked chocolate chip cookies and have put out an assortment of cheeses, nuts, crackers, yogurts, etc.

Whew - tons of cooking! :)

angela | the painted house said...

You are brave to have 3 teenage athletes staying with you! Their eating may bankrupt you! But it sure sounds like they got lucky staying with you--everything sounds delicious!

Anonymous said...

Angela, I was thinking the same thing. What a wonderful place to stay.

Barbara said...

Thanks! I think I fed them well! but I'm exhausted from getting three kids fed and out the door by 8 a.m. all week. Tomorrow my kids know they're having granola bars and yogurts - no more cooking!

Today, though I made:

-fresh belgian waffles in waffle maker w/fresh berries on top
-bfast sandwiches with: toasted english muffins, scrambled egg, slice of swiss cheese
-chicken apple sausage browned in a frying pan

When we dropped them off this morning, it was goodbye, which was bittersweet. We were all sad to see them go, but of course it will be good to get back to our regular routine. I bet it will seem like a piece of cake to care for just my own family now!

Went OUT to dinner tonight -- couldn't cook again, plus it was my mom's 83rd bday, so we took her out.

Barbara said...

p.s. the plan for today's bfast was blintz souffle, which I will post the recipe for later - I guess I'll make it over the weekend b/c I have all the ingredients. It's a great brunch/lunch dish. I didn't make it because they begged for bfast sandwiches again and I decided maybe they wouldn't like the blintz souffle that much....