Monday, October 08, 2007

Autumn=Chili Season

It's that time of year again: chili and soup will be simmering in my kitchen. And, as a result, it will make Clayton mad. He always seems to pout when I serve soup for dinner. I guess it is because his belly is growling two hours later. But I do try to make them hearty. Oh, well. It doesn't stop me from cooking up a pot. That is what a bowl of cereal is for anyway.

Friday
Vegetarian chili
Cornbread
Strawberries and red grapes
Brownies

Saturday picnic on the Parkway
PB&J sandwiches
Hummus and pita chips
Baby carrots
Strawberries and red grapes
Brownies

Sunday lunch
Frozen pizza
Spinach salad with couscous and marinated tomatoes and cucumbers
Sliced pears
Strawberry-blueberry smoothies

1 comment:

Barbara said...

What a coincidence - we were cold from our outing to Julian (a mountain area near San Diego), where it was crisp and cool and we did things like go apple picking in an orchard and tour a gold mine. So, when I got home, I decided we needed something warm like soup or chili for dinner as well, so I made taco soup, one of my autumn standbys. You can use ground turkey like I do, or ground beef, or you, Angela, could use one of those Morningstar ground beef substitutes.

I serve it with warm crusty bread, a salad and some sort of fruit and dessert. A well rounded, delicious eary and WARM meal!

Taco Soup

Mix together in a large pot:

1 lb ground turkey, browned and drained
1 large onion, chopped
3 cans black beans, undrained (16 oz each)
1 can whole kernel corn, undrained (16 oz)
2 cans mexican style chopped tomatoes, undrained (16 oz)
1 can tomato sauce (16 oz)
1 can diced green chile, undrained (4 oz)
3 cups water (or more if you like the soup thinner)
1 pkg taco seasoning mix
1 pkg ranch style dressing mix

Mix well, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until onions appear translucent. Makes about 16 cups.

That was friday's dinner.

Sat:

Tacos w/ground beef, cheese, lettuce, sour cream, tomatoes and salsa
Baked potatoes
Zucchini
Strawberries/blueberries/rasberries
Fresh apple pie that we brought home from Julian

Sunday:

Angel hair pasta with marinara sauce
salad
Challah bread
apples from our apple picking
fresh baked chocolate chip cookies