Fortunately we have big-city amenities like a wide varieties of restaurants. It is heaven when I can sit in a totally vegan restaurant and order whatever I want. I'm not a freak there. My requests of no cheese, no meat, no whatever are not met with shock and disdain. Also in a big city there are lots of veggie-friendly ethnic restaurants. I just have to be careful of added ingredients like fish sauce, chicken broth, and lard. Mmm...
Yesterday we had brunch at one of our favorite veggie restaurants. Their breakfast burrito is stuffed with black bean chili, corn, and delicious tofu cubes. Potatoes and fluffy whole wheat vegan biscuits are on the side. I usually get the pancake special for the day and Clayton and I call "splitsies" in the middle of our meal and switch. You know, something sweet and something savory.
I'm still dreaming about my sandwich--it was out of this world delicious! And those fries--a splurge--were spicy and crispy and wonderful. I topped it all off with their Pooh Bear smoothie: peanut butter, banana, soy milk, and cinnamon. Did I mention I was trying to load up on calories? This was the place to do it.
However, if you can't find a great vegan restaurant, find some great friends who will cook it for you!
Here is Steve making us his famous fried potatoes and scrambled tofu. I told him I needed to get a photo of him in the kitchen to boost my readership here!
Tofu, potatoes, and real eggs in the back--so everyone is happy. And Erin made her yummy banana pancakes--talk about hospitable people!
Sometimes it isn't possible to eat at an exclusively veggie place. I try to do my best off the menu. I am happy as a lark with beans, rice, fresh guacamole, and pico de gallo; or a good marinara with pasta or gnocchi; or rice or noodles with tofu and veggies. In nicer places that usually have all meat dishes and appetizers, I scan the menu for what the side offerings are. The kitchen will usually put together a plate for me with whichever sides I choose and usually kindly respect my wishes for no butter or cheese. I pair that with bread and a salad and end up satisfied by the end of the meal. When dining with other people, I try to be discreet in ordering and not make a big deal out of it. I like to order when everyone is involved in conversation and don't even notice what I order or don't.
Do you have any eating out tricks?
3 comments:
We'll have to go the Laughing Seed next time we are in Asheville!!
As for ordering out--I try to be discreet also. I am not as rigid as I used to be when I was nursing a baby HIGHLY allergic to dairy (when one pat of butter could result in lots of crying, gassiness and a bloody stool--poor boy!) but I'll tell you what I do--I just say "no cheese/milk/butter--I'm allergic." I didn't feel like explaining "my son is allergic, I'm breastfeeding him...etcetc" so I just continue to stick with it. not entirely untrue, b/c I'm lactose intolerant anyhow.
My sister-in-law to be was very clever recently. She's vegan and went to a national convention for hunters (yes, really--my brother in law is a huge hunter, engaged to a vegan). Anyhow, she called the hotel/conference center beforehand (or emailed?) and told the chef that she was vegan. They brought her a special meal each night--and she said it was great food, too. Easy and very discreet. Also easy to find her, as apparently she was the ONLY vegan among the thousands of people attending the conference--big surprise. ;
I would eat any one of those meals! I've witnessed Angela always finds something she can eat! She doesn't make a big deal out of it, and whatever she puts together from what is available looks very appetizing. Hopefully I can experience some of her "favorites" when we visit this summer:)
Your tricks are my tricks.
Those meals look soooooo good. You surely have more options than I have (Midwest, rural, small town), but I'm happy to be able to go out to eat at all.
I can't get anyone to cook for me though. Can you give me Steve's #?
Post a Comment