Monday, April 27, 2009

Have Food, Will Travel

Let's see, I left off in the last post making veggie broth for soup starters. I finished those the next day and made food for the weekend to take to the mountains. We had a lot of work and fun to do so I didn't want to be burdened with cooking or trying to find healthy vegan food for every meal.

I made spelt chocolate chip muffins--a huge hit with the fam. I will share the recipe soon. There is sugar in the chips I used but the batter is sweetened with pureed dates.

We had the muffins for snacks and breakfast with soysage and beautiful fruit.

For dinner I heated up chipotle black-eyed peas with collard greens that I had made at home. We had the peas over rice with salad on the side. Yep, those are crushed Fritos on top--my consolation for the greens.

And the tofu chocolate coconut pie was a winner this time around with the addition of coffee extract and the omission of almond extract and orange juice. We finished off the whole pie in a matter of 30 hours. I had one piece with a dollop of Purely Decadent's vanilla bean ice cream. Can I tell you how happy I am to know that I now have a vanilla ice cream to eat with apple crisp? Ecstatic! I'll post the modified pie recipe soon, too--but now, yeah, I'm too tired and really just a pathetic excuse for a blogger lately.

I also whipped up a huge batch of basil-cilantro pesto to slather on pizza crust for a few pies on Sunday.

Tonight I am still recovering from a stretch of full days. So we just had haystacks--but everyone was happy. Haystacks=Happy around here.

You?

1 comment:

lazy susie said...

The texture of that pie--and the crust--looks absolutely perfect. Well done!

No exciting food stuff here. But no complaints either. My rut feels comfy right now. I think that I'll pick up the cooking again next week.