Monday, May 14, 2007

Can You Believe It's Not Mexican?

I found an Asian recipe in a magazine that I tried tonight. It was a lot of chopping--but I did it during naptime. It was originally a chicken dish, but I just substituted tofu.

Tofu Lo Mein with fresh ginger, garlic, onion, carrots, sugar snap peas, broccoli, mushrooms
Salad with ginger-sesame dressing (bottled) and dried cranberries
Strawberries and a juicy $.88 orange

The lo mein was yummy--and adventurous for me since I don't cook Asian very much. Clayton, my notorious Asian-food hater, had two helpings but he never said "remember this recipe in the future" like he did last night with the pasta sauce. I'll post the recipe later.

You?

4 comments:

the larsons said...

I'm a closet reader of this blog! Finally had something for dinner that was delicious enough to share:

Pumpkin Pancakes

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 egg
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons vinegar

DIRECTIONS:
In a separate bowl, mix together the milk, pumpkin, egg, oil and vinegar. Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon, ginger and salt, stir into the pumpkin mixture just enough to combine.

Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.

They were divine, very fluffy and not too sweet. We had turkey bacon and milk with them, but you could certainly substitute veggie sausage, which is Stella's favorite anyway!

And a bonus - there's enough batter to have it all over again for breakfast!

Barbara said...

The asian dish sounds great. I can't wait to see the recipe and maybe I can use my new Vidalia chopper that I ordered from a commercial on tv that's really pretty good.

I cooked again tonight:

-fresh mahi mahi fish baked with a macadamia nut type of coating that even the kids loved (recipe at the end)
-broccoli
-white rice (the kids just won't eat brown!)
-the rest of the baked beans from two nights ago (I forgot there were a little of those left over, just nothing else!)
-sourdough bread put in the oven with butter and garlic on it
-strawberries (aren't you glad they're in season now?)

Mahi Mahi:

-Put milk in a bowl
-Put the following in another bowl: crushed macadamia nuts, bread crumbs, parsley, crushed garlic, onion powder (all mixed together)
-dip the fish pieces in milk, then in the mixture to coat
-sprinkle rest of mixture over the whole pan of fish
-baked uncovered for about 15 minutes at 400 degrees

angela | the painted house said...

Thanks for the recipes, ladies! Marian, those pancakes remind me of the sweet potato ones at Tupelo Honey...you know me and breakfast. We're tight.

Barbara--your mahi-mahi recipe makes me wish I cooked fish. It sounds so easy and delicious. Maybe I'll try for Clayton as a treat! And, yes, the strawberries are finally tasting good!

Barbara said...

Maybe you could try the topping on baked tofu? I've never tried it,but who knows - it might come out!

Glad to see I inspired you to get corn on the cob for tonight. Was it good?

No cooking for me tonight - we were at a Celebration of Life party for a close friend, neighbor, mom of kids at my kids' school who passed away at age 45 of cancer. They had a huge dinner buffet. I'll cook tomorrow!