We ate like kings tonight--that can only mean that I went to the grocery store today and stocked up on food. Last night, well, kind of pathetic.
Wednesday:
Frozen cheese pizza (not even name brand--grocery store brand. Thanks, Clayton!)
Carrot sticks
Strawberries and apple
Tonight:
Tortellini with alfredo sauce (Bonnie's) and mushrooms, onions, garlic, and peas
Salad with tomatoes and cucumbers for kids
Fruit salad with raspberries, strawberries, cherries, and green grapes
Sweet potato cake for dessert
The tortellini was GOOD but guilt-ridden. I just sauted the veggies (added peas later) in the butter for the alfredo sauce. Lots of cream and parmesan later, the dish was filling; and the kids gobbled it up--of course, with all that fat!
I haven't made the cake in forever. It was a nice change from the Cinnamon-Nut I always make and a good substitute for carrot cake. It is easy--box mix as a base.
It is a horrible post to mention this (since we ate well not necessarily healthfully tonight), but Nicole informed me of a fabulous blog called veganlunchbox.blogspot.com. Even if you aren't vegan or even vegetarian, it has some great tips on kids' lunches. The author's photos of her kid's lunch box are amazing and inspiring--although, completely unrealistic for me. I can't imagine having time to cut out jicama bunnies or fashion fruit flowers or edible butterflies. But it is neat to see someone who can.
You?
Wednesday, May 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Please share the recipe for sweet potato cake! And the other one if it isn't on there. I need new dessert ideas - my kids are tired of cookies and ice cream!
The dinner sounds good - esp the fruit salad. I love berries. I found blackberries the other day for 99 cents a basket which is really cheap!
Our dinner tonight (just the kids and I because Marlon is travelling):
-bean burritos with beans, tortillas, cheese, salsa, lettuce, tomato, avocado and sour cream
-chicken noodle soup (canned)
-bananas
-for dessert: graham crackers with nutella on them (yes, I got the nutella idea from you - I hadn't thought of that since college!)
This blog is great. Thanks for letting me be part of it even though I don't really know you. I guess I do NOW though!
yes, thank you Angela! it is inspirational to read dinner ideas. I was reading on a an organizational website the other day about how, much as we (cooks) try to ignore it, dinner inevitably comes around once a day. Where as that should be a fun time to look forward to, it can be overwhelming.
Last night...
- starters: crackers with cream cheese and capers - good :) to fend of the distracting hunger while trying to think of a dinner plan.
left over pasta with spinach & cheese.
kiwi fruit later...my bubble bath was better than dinner...
BY THE WAY, I am only even recording this pathetic phase I am going through, so that when I return to my gourmet cooking in the future, I don't get a big head, or give anyone else that idea either ;)
Post a Comment