Thursday, May 17, 2007

More Non-Mexican, It's French!

Crepes stuffed with ratatouille and topped with tomato sauce and parmesan
Apple and pear
Blue Bell vanilla ice cream topped with strawberry sauce

After eating at a creperie in Mexico, I am inspired to make more crepes--sweet and savory! I tried to recreate a crepe I had in France 10 years ago. My ratatouille, a roasted vegetable dish, wasn't entirely authentic. I didn't use eggplant, and I didn't remember the red pepper until after the meal was over. But it still was good. I used carrots, zucchini, onion, garlic, mushrooms. The tomato sauce was simply tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. The crepes were beautiful with fresh parsley and chives suspended in the batter. Next time I will make a double batch of batter and make crepes to freeze for later.

I put frozen strawberries with brown sugar and cinnamon on the stove while we ate. By the time dinner was over we had a syrupy sauce for ice cream. I didn't know that something so simple as hot strawberry sauce over vanilla ice cream could be so delicious!

Tonight I'm not cooking.

You?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sounds so good...as much as I love to cook, I have been uninspired in the kitchen lately...I think I need to just copy a few of your posts to get me back in the cooking mood!! This is typical to getting stuck in a rut and then on top of that being so busy. I would like someone to serve me a plate of inspiration with some good ideas on the side and a fast and easy desert to top. And I do mean in the grocery department! Everybody knows this is a "PG site", littered with double innuendos, so just wanted to be clear!