Saturday, December 08, 2007

Sabbath Lunch

We had two families over for lunch today--I love having company and wish I could do it every week. I originally wanted to make something new and different for today's lunch, but then decided it was probably best to stick with what I know considering the added stress of the holidays. I made one of my mom's classic Sabbath company lunches.

Pecan patties
Potato-filled crepes
Steamed green beans and carrots with roasted garlic
Spinach salad with strawberries, parmesan, and roasted pecans
Asiago cheese bread from Panera Bread
Pineapple, green grapes, sliced oranges, and blueberries
Cinnamon pecan cake
Hazelnut coffee

I just polished off the last piece of cake. Now what will I have tomorrow in the way of birthday cake???

You?

3 comments:

Barbara said...

We had 30+ people over for a Hanukkah party.

I made baked chicken (just plain) and potato latkes with sour cream and applesauce.

Because people were coming at 5:30 and I didn't get the chicken in the oven til after 4, I knew it wasn't going to be ready when they got there, so I decided I had better put out some appetizers/munchies for before hand. I hadn't prepared anything, but I was pleased that I could throw together a nice assortment of stuff just from what I had in the house! I put out:

-hummus and pita
-goat cheese log with wholeberry cranberry sauce on top w/crackers
-tortilla chips w/salsa
-cut up cheese and salami and crackers
-baby carrots and ranch dressing
-grapes

Anyway, the rest of our dinner was brought by others:

-a yummy chicken dish with cut up baked chicken, rice, mandarin oranges and carrots
-a pasta dish w/marinara sauce
-spinach salad w/pecans, blue cheese, avocado and some other yummy stuff in it
-"forgotten cookies" (little merreinge things with chocolate chips)
-cupcakes
-rice krispie treats
-fresh fruit salad
-soft drinks and wine

It was a yummy dinner and really good company. We ate, lit the menorah candles, sang songs, then the kids exchanged gifts (we had drawn names) and the adults did a fun white elephant gift exchange.

Don't you all love the holidays?

Anonymous said...

Angela's Squash Patties were for dinner last night, yummy and enjoyed with rice & beans, sour cream, salsa, and broccoli.
This blog is coming in so handy when I feel uninspired, I just look for someone else's past dinner inspiration!

Anonymous said...

I just made Angela's apple maple muffins...they smell amazing fresh out of the oven!
Also smelling amazing, a Vegetable Moussaka that is cooking for tonight.