Saturday, August 02, 2008

I've Never Met a Bean I Didn't Like

We really eat a lot of beans. Good for our bodies and cheap--what could be better? Yesterday I really had to get creative for lunch--I mean, we were low on groceries. The only fresh thing I had in the house were the tomatoes off our patio plant. No fruit. But I did manage to make one of the best smoothies I've ever made--coconut milk, pineapple juice, and frozen strawberries. I threw together a soup with a soup starter and two cans of beans, a can of diced tomatoes, 1/2 cup of rice, and a handful of dried spices. It actually turned out pretty good. Thank you, pantry staples.

Friday

L
Italian bean & rice soup
Ezekial 4:9 bread with margarine
Cherry tomatoes
Strawberry-pineapple-coconut smoothie

D
Tamales with chile con queso (cheesy sauce mixed with jarred salsa)
Black beans
Red leaf lettuce, tomatoes, and guacamole
Strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries

Today

L
Bean and soy crumbles tostadas
Chile-lime roasted potatoes
Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and green grapes
Strawberry-pineapple-coconut-banana smoothie

The potatoes turned out delicious. I just placed cubed red potatoes on a cookie sheet, drizzled with peanut oil, sprinkled with garlic salt and chili powder, squeezed a lime over, and tossed together. Bake at 425 until golden--about 30 minutes or so.

You?

2 comments:

Heather W said...

Can I ask you...do your kids eat everything that you make? I am having a hard time with Lane eating all of his food. Any suggestions?

angela | the painted house said...

Heather, no, unfortunately, they do not eat everything I make!!! They have their likes and dislikes like every other kid, but they do have a nice appreciation for veggies. Mine have been known to dance with glee to have broccoli for dinner. Even so, I always serve them their veggies first. I try to be mindful of what they like when I plan dinner, and I make them try at least a bite of anything new I make. There is always something on the menu that they can eat, but there aren't any deviations or special dishes for them. If they are still hungry, then they can have an apple or banana.