Monday, August 18, 2008

A No-Cooking Weekend

We ate out too much this last weekend. I was a good vegan in all restaurants but one--when we went out Saturday night with work friends to a nice restaurant. I had butternut squash ravioli with goat cheese. I felt sick afterward. Why? Why do I do that?

We did eat breakfast at home. I made the coconut pancakes from Vegan with a Vengence, which were pretty good. But next time I won't add so much nutmeg...well, if there is a next time. The kids didn't really like them. I didn't have canned pineapple to make the topping, but I did have pineapple juice to make a yummy syrup.

L
Buff Chick sandwich with red onion, dilly Vegannaise, and lettuce
Green beans
Strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries

D
Cabbage soup
Zucchini salad with spinach and red leaf lettuce
Berries and cherries

Oh, the soup was so GOOD. Toss together in a soup pot: one soup starter, half a head of chopped cabbage, one can of diced tomatoes, one can of drained and rinsed kidney beans, one diced potato, leftover green beans from lunch, salt, pepper, marjoram, tarragon, oregano, and a bay leaf. Simmer until soft and yummy.

You?

3 comments:

lazy susie said...

Left over Baked Beans (Veganomicon) with quinoa for lunch. With fruit.

For dinner I made the Cauliflower and Mushroom Potpie with Black Olive Crust (Veganomicon). To adequately describe how good it was (the teen even said so), I'd have to use a ton of adjectives and exclamation points, making me feel like I'm in Jr High again.

Tonight it's black bean burgers if I have time around driving this one to practice and that one to her job and that one to a friend and this one's friend to our house. And back.

Have a great day. Have you tried the potpie?? My discriminating (picky, French, food-snobby) husband really liked it too.

angela | the painted house said...

I haven't tried the potpie, mainly because of the crust. There are only a few veggies that I don't like and black olives are top of the list. I'm crazy, I know. I'm glad that your hubby like it! That is always a good night when I can please the man...with food, that is! ;)

lazy susie said...

Just leave the olives out of the biscuit crust! It is very flavorful on its own. I made mine in my food processor, like I do pie crust.

Oh, the airplane. We have four or so because that is the family biz. And we refuse (well, strongly discourage) to sell to doctors because they kill themselves in airplanes. Tell Clayton that he can never be a pilot, only a passenger. And we'll be happy to give y'all rides whenever you're in town.