A week and a half ago we had our friends in town for the weekend. I made fajitas, black beans, and rice with fresh pico de gallo, vegan chile con queso, and guacamole. When the meal was over, we gorged ourselves on a vegan dessert spread: maple-pecan cookies, coconut-chocolate pie, four kinds of the coconut milk ice cream (chocolate, chocolate mint, coconut, and mango), and a fruit salad.
I love the seitan fajitas--and it is easy to prepare. You just need to chop ahead of time in order to marinate.
I use a box of West Soy seitan (one of these days I'll make my own) and chop it into thin strips. I also slice onion and red and green peppers thinly.
Toss in a shallow dish with lots of fresh lime juice, peanut or toasted sesame oil, cumin, a bit of cayenne pepper, salt, and garlic powder.
Fresh, homemade pico de gallo is worth all the chopping. Chop the following into small, uniform pieces: tomato, green pepper, onion.
For breakfast, I made our guests French toast, skillet potatoes with vegan chorizo and pico de gallo, fruit, and hot cocoa. The best part was there was French toast leftover for Monday morning!
Today for lunch we had burgers with Mindy's veggie burger patties--so good! I can't believe I forgot to take a photo of these babies. I made them last week before I left for Texas. I think Clayton ate 4 of them right off the pan fresh from the oven. I froze the leftovers--and they make delicious sandwiches. We rounded out lunch with broccoli slaw, Fritos, and fruit salad.
Sweet potato, black bean, and spinach burritos with salsa verde
Rice with corn and peas
Guacamole
Pears and blueberries
You?
3 comments:
It's good to see you back!
I experimented with socca...made pizzelles for my youngsters...tonight it's Italian...and tomorrow it'll be the Spinich Noodle Kugel from Veganomicon. That's kind of like comfort food for me. With the extra tofu I'll try making the tofu nuggets from You Won't Believe. I don't miss chicken nuggets--or chicken--but I'm very curious about the recipe.
oooh. pico de gallo. mi favorito. i don't know if i'm allowed to read this anymore. i get incredibly hungry and i have these incredible urges to go buy out the grocery store... :)
i love how often it seems i see mexican-inspired food- especially vegan- here. i love it- i seriously can't get enough of it- but i'm sick of restaurant versions. i have to try these things out. it's time. :) especially for a gorge-fest on vegan desserts!
once the pie recipe is perfected, do share!!!!
Post a Comment