Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Like a Good Southerner

I completely forgot that Clayton told me to NEVER make collard greens again. Whoops. Well, he ate it anyway...but now I hear him pouring a bowl of cereal. I liked dinner, and the kids ate it up. I was inspired by a similar soup I had at Whole Foods last week in their cafe. Yum! So, like a good Southerner, I ate my greens and peas tonight.



Collard greens & blackeyed pea soup topped with brown rice
Corn fritters
Red leaf lettuce with carrots and dill dressing
Apple





I used these new tomatoes from my favorite Muir Glen for the soup base. The chipotle is a nice, smoky touch. I also used it this last weekend in a batch of tortilla soup. Yum! For the soup: 1 soup starter + bag of frozen peas + one can of fire roasted chipotle tomatoes + oregano + thyme + cayenne pepper + salt + handful or two of chopped collard greens + a little water to keep it soupy

Lunch today:

Hotdogs with onions
Sweet potato chips
Spinach salad with vinaigrette
Bowl o berries and banana

I drove to Texas last Friday to be with my grandfather, who is gravely ill, and my grandmother. I arrived with a cooler full of food to feed myself and others who might visit over the weekend. I baked the Veganomicon's lemon coconut bundt cake to take, and I think everyone was surprised that it was vegan and tasty. I made seitan and pepper fajitas, pico de gallo, tortilla soup, chile con queso (vegan cheesy sauce), guacamole (my sis made it), lentil soup, lots of fruit, broccoli-potato-cheese soup. My brother-in-law said he never would have guessed that the queso was vegan if I hadn't told him--yea! Just mix a batch of cheesy sauce with jarred salsa.

I love sharing the gift of food. The trip was extremely hard and I am not recovering quickly. There was just too much physical and emotional stress. But I am so thankful I had the opportunity to be with my grandparents. While I manned my grandmother's kitchen, my sister cleaned the house from top to bottom--it is just a classic case of taking control of what we can because we feel completely hopeless to do anything to take away my grandfather's cancer.

I will post the corn fritter recipe tomorrow, I promise, really! Thanks for asking for it, Nicole. And, yep, they freeze really well, and I just reheat in the oven.

You?

2 comments:

lazy susie said...

I'm sorry...I think I read you wrong...did you say you fooled a MAN with the cheezy sauce? Really?

We had collard greens last night for dinner also. I made a stuffed collard green dish days ago that I really liked, so I sauteed the leftover greens for dinner last night. They were horrible. I couldn't chew them, and I have all my teeth. Sebastien couldn't either, but kept silent out of kindness. I'm sure why they were soooo bad.

I've been eating falafel lately...and potato salad. They are comfort foods for me.

My vegan dinner party is tomorrow night. I'm making Tofu Hot Wings; Carrot Bisque; Cauliflower-Mushroom Potpie; and a simple salad of peas, grated radish and green onion in a creamy dressing.

Saying a prayer for your recovery...and remembering your dear grandparents also.

angela | the painted house said...

I know, Susan, pulled the cashew cheesy wool over his eyes! Ha!

I'm so craving comfort foods right now. The cold weather and the sadness.

Can't wait to hear how your dinner goes--that menu is impressive!