Saturday, September 02, 2006

We're Socializing!

We actually enjoyed uninterrupted conversation tonight with adults! Friends Julie and Richie came over sans kids for snacks and a movie--after our kids were in bed. Well, the movie didn't work out since we couldn't stop blabbing. But it was so nice to catch up and laugh. We gathered around the living room ottoman on the floor for dinner. And I, in a grand nerd gesture, decided to start a new tradition when we have guests over...a poetry reading! It hit me today that the art of poetry is completely forgotten in our lives today--unless you like rap... So, after prayer I read my favorite Carl Sandburg poem "Sunsets." Everyone still talked to me after the fact so hopefully it wasn't a complete social faux pas. Then Julie impressed us with a recitation from The Tempest--she once played a role in college.

Mango salsa (had to have some more after Tracy's)
Baked black beans with queso
Guacamole
Freshly fried corn chips
Banana chips
Brownies with Ben & Jerry's ice cream (3 decadent varieties)

Yum! Julie brought the 'cream--don't EVER read the nutritional info on the side. You do better to consume in ignorance.

4 comments:

Peggy said...

So glad you had a wonderful night with friends! You know I would love the poetry reading!

angela | the painted house said...

Maybe one of your poems will be next, Mom!

Peggy said...

Now they will really roll their eyes! Have you been socializing for two days? Since you've eaten, I've made a brisket, baked beans and fries, then tonight we had leftover brisket chopped and heated up with barbeque sauce on toasted buns.

angela | the painted house said...

Mmm... that sounds good! I love your brisket!