So this is the new deal around my kitchen: only organic, no sugar in any form, no dairy or meat, no caffeine, no white flours...no fun? It sounds just awful, but I was really encouraged after spending time (and $, gulp) at Whole Foods. My goal is to provide Clayton with whole, raw fruits and veggies at every meal in addition to an item with a satisfying texture and warmth. Lunches may be all cold, but I will promise a warm meal at dinner. And, once I get my juicer, he will drink fresh veggie juices several times throughout the day. There is real power in the foods God designed for us. I am also going to start making my own bread since it is hard to find good, fresh bread without all the preservatives, etc. A breadmaker sounds like it will make easier work of it--Lord knows that I am spending all my time in the kitchen now. Rinse, chop, chop!
Breakfast
Oatmeal sweetened with honey, cinnamon and apples, soy milk
Smoothie with apple, banana, blueberry and vanilla rice milk
Lunch
Asian salad with spinach, red leaf lettuce, kiwi, clementines, green onion, green pepper, celery, broccoli sprouts,carrots, red cabbage, chopped peanuts and ginger-wasabi dressing
Warm hummus with pita chips
Spinach, red leaf lettuce, red cabbage topped with corn salad (corn, red & green peppers, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, cumin) and homemade cilantro-chipotle-avocado dressing
Pinto beans and brown rice
Vegan "meat" tamales from frozen
Mango and clementines
Oh, the salads are SO GOOD! For the cilantro dressing I just processed in the chopper a bunch of cilantro, juice from two limes, two chipotle peppers, and one avocado. Next time I won't use a whole avocado--I had to thin it with water, but YUM! And, the tamales were delicious--I was so surprised. A man at Whole Foods was doing a demo on them in the frozen section and had noticed that I had spent at least 30 minutes on that aisle. "I noticed you are picking up a lot of vegan products," he told me. "Yes, we are going vegan," I replied as I burst into tears. But I regained my composure quickly and tried a tamale and then threw some boxes in my basket (after diligently reading the ingredient label--I'm hardcore). I made the pita chips by tearing up whole wheat pita breads and toasting in the oven.
You?
6 comments:
This looks great! I'm so proud of you all!
Everything looks and sounds delicious. I admire how quickly you've put a whole new eating plan into action.
I'm going to try to follow suit and try to follow some of your recipes and eating plan.
As for us, nothing exciting:
Last night:
bean burritos
noodles
baby carrots
sliced apples and pears
Tonight:
vegetarian chili
ritz crackers
baked potatoes
green beans
You are so creative, my goodness! And people often think "my" diet is diverse and different! I will definitely be taking some inspiration from your Vegan Food Art.
Bonnie
Those plates look fantastic! I don't believe I would miss a thing with your food in front of me. You go girl!!!
We went out for dinner tonight. I passed up on dessert, and Caleb was surprised when I also passed up on my favorite after dinner candy at this Italian restaurant..."key lime" hard candies. I gave him mine and he gave me a funny look. I explained myself, and he siad, there's not much sugar in that! And I said it doesn't matter!!
Bonnie
Have you tried rice cheese? A few years ago I cut out dairy (but oh how I love cheese!) and I used rice cheese as a substitute and thought it was pretty good. We use some dairy now, but I still use rice cheese to help cut back on the animal products.
Post a Comment