Sunday, February 24, 2008

You'll Find Me in the Kitchen

Our weekend:

Friday
L
Tomato-basil soup
Broccoli-carrot slaw over spinach
Tofurky wraps with brocco sprouts and spinach
Strawberries
Acai, banana, raspberry, blueberry smoothie

Saturday
B
Vegan waffles from frozen topped with warm cinnamon apples
Banana, raspberry, blueberry smoothie

L
Hummus wraps with brocco sprouts and spinach
Broccoli-carrot slaw
Spelt crackers and pretzels
Mango, strawberries, banana, and kiwi

Sunday
B
Granola and rice milk
Banana, mango, pineapple smoothie

L
Vegan pecan patties
Mashed potatoes with cauliflower puree
Steamed broccoli
Spinach and red leaf salad with red cabbage
Pears

D
Black bean soup with brown rice and cilantro
Broccoli-carrot slaw (no more left!)

Lots of cooking, but we did try to eat out a couple times--once to Whole Foods in their cafe and to a Mexican restaurant where we ordered corn tortillas, veggie fajitas, rice and beans, roasted veggie tamales, guacamole, and pico de gallo. Clayton's sadness at his new diet comes in waves. Today, however, he was happy that I was able to reproduce our beloved pecan patties in a vegan way. I just tweaked a recipe for pecan patties that I found on a vegan website--it uses brown rice, no oats, and cooks in the oven instead of frying on the stove. They were pretty good--even with the mushroom gravy I made with whole wheat pastry flour and soy milk.

Our new juicer came in on Friday so I began the carrot juicing today. I am drinking it with Clayton but not with the same frequency. He drank 24 ounces today and I only did 16. Once we get accustomed to the flavor, I will start adding green leafy veggies to it. The only way to get it down is to guzzle!

I also tried a vegan cookie recipe this weekend--walnut-raisin-apple cookies. They aren't your white sugar, white flour variety, but they are still pretty good. The kids like them and still feel like they are getting a treat...ha, ha, a healthy one!

You?

9 comments:

Barbara said...

I'm SOOOOO impressed with you Angela. You are doing such a great job creating flavorful, satisfying meals for your family with a completely new and foreign eating plan. I really don't think I could have done what you have done so quickly.

I won't tell you about our eating -- it was out and on the run and not totally unhealthy, but definitely not in line with my pledges... and nothing special!

Anonymous said...

You are so creative, my goodness.

How do you come up with all those ideas????????

On juice: my dad was telling about the incredible properties of the pure Welches Concord Grape juice...not the one from concentrate. I know Wholefoods sells it.

Bonnie

Anonymous said...

You are amazing Angela!! The looks of those meals make my mouth water. You plate everything so beautifully...and that's part of it.

Letty said...

thanks for leaving a comment on my blog...it is a treat to see what tasty things you are making!
We have been Vegetarian for quite some time, but I can't really imagine going Vegan...that is really great that you have found so many wonderful recipes.
I daily am grateful for the internet for all of the recipes and information available.
You make it all look really tasty!
Will you be posting recipes? Not to over-burden your already intense cooking. :0)

Kim said...

Wow--this all sounds great! I am not vegan, but I do eat organically, lots of fruits and veggies and whole grains...plus, lots of fish and chicken.

Does fish count in a vegan diet?

I know this kind of eating will only help Clayton and make you all healthier in the process.

Praying for you,

Kim at Lifesong

Kim said...

Another thing I have thought of:

Have you checked out the whole fruit juice concentrates from fruitfast.com...I drink the pomegranate and blueberry on a daily basis...I just squirt it in my water for a delicious non sweet juice. It is great in decaf green tea as well.

The studies on pomegranate juice are amazing and may be very helpful in what you are doing. Plus, it is just very high in antioxidants, so you can't go wrong. I wouldn't recommend other pom juices...this is the only one that is true 100% concentrate.

the larsons said...

Incredible. Everything you described sounds divine. You really are superwoman!

angela | the painted house said...

Thank you, everyone! It has been a lot of work, but the rewards will be great. And, I guess, I like the challenge. :)

Kim & Letty, thanks for stopping by! And thanks for the pom juice tip, Kim. I have been trying to think of a healthy cocktail I could make with it.

Nicole said...

We juice and add fresh ginger to everything. If you like the taste of ginger it really adds to the juice. But beware a little goes a long way. It even overpowers the green leafies. We had some juicing recipes I will see if I can find them. We also added a lot of apples and other fruits to change the taste of greens.