Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Chicken Fried Chickpeas

Texans love their chicken fried steaks. I have enjoyed many a good battered and fried hunks of beef in my day. Sigh. Tonight I attempted a vegan version--not so much a carbon copy as it was a salute. Veganomicon's Chickpea Cutlets have a texture similar to chicken fried steak--the only problem tonight is I decided to bake my cutlets instead of frying them, in the name of good health. They are much better fried. Of course.

D
Chickpea cutlets
Mashed potatoes with herbed gravy
Steamed fresh corn
Spinach and red leaf salad with tomatoes and lemon-dill dressing
Cantaloupe

And, I just made Clayton and me a strawberry-banana-orange smoothie.

I am now off to answer your questions in the last post--yea, comments!

8 comments:

Heather W said...

I also made the Veganomicon Chickpea Cutlets the other night. I also baked them instead of fry them. Craig and I thought they were okay. I think next time I will try frying them. Where do you get the receipe for gravy?

Heather W said...

It's me again. I wanted to let you know that I made the Veganomican Potato and Kale Enchiladas last night. Mind you I am making them in advance for our trip to San Antonio so I froze them. I did take a sampler of the enchilada sauce and the kale potato filling and is was awesome. Just a little FYI.

Carody said...

Okay, I am totally making a trip to Whole Foods tonight. Angela, can I just tell you what an inspiration you have been to me in making healthy changes in my family's eating habits? It is a change that is going to be REALLY hard for us, as we love to eat out and I am a bit (well, okay, more than a bit) lazy when it comes to cooking at the end of a long day of having little people hanging from my limbs all day. And I'm more than a little sure that that last sentence was grammatically incorrect. It has been a long day! ;)

Anyway, all that to say, I have talked it over with Mike, and although we won't be going vegan, we will be making a switch to eating whole foods rather than processed foods. And we eat a LOT of processed food, so I know it will be hard, but the health benefits will be tremendous!

I have been spending a lot of time on the VitaMix website (and here!), getting ideas for smoothies, detox drinks, elixirs, all sorts of things, and I am very excited to get started. I can't believe I haven't gone completely "whole foods" before!

I am expecting lots of resistance from people, for the reasons you mentioned on your blog a few days ago, but I feel like I am prepared to deal with that. Even today, as Mike came up to me and tried to stick a SweetTart in my mouth, I just looked at him and said "Um, no thank you!" and he looked mortified that he had offered it to me after everything we had talked about last night. He will be on board with me to do this, too, but I have let him know that I will need a LOT of support.

Anyway, I think I'll go write on my own blog about this now. Sorry for the long post!! Thanks for listening!

Anonymous said...

Hi Angela! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your dinner blog. Especially because I have the same interests and love trying new recipies. I just recently became gluten free and even more recently trying to become vegan. I bought soy milk, butter, cheese and ice cream. They are all really really great. I never liked milk anyways, so I am not missing anything. I recently also bought egg subtitute in a box. I am kinda scared to try it, but I mostly bought it for recipies that call for eggs. I will be adding you to my faves. Thanks for your blog! And thanks for stopping by my blog today!

Ronda's Rants said...

I have just become vegan for almost two weeks now... I have cheated a little with dairy but I am having a little bit of issues down below, let's say I am cleaning out my colon, okay? Is this normal? These are wonderful recipes...I am thrilled to find them!

angela | the painted house said...

Heather--yeah, the chickpea cutlets are much better fried, like I did the first time I made them. I like the texture the gluten gives them--meaty. I'll have to try the Kale-Potato enchiladas soon--yum!

Carody, YOU CAN DO IT! I know it is hard from a convenience standpoint. I started really eliminating a lot of processed food from our daily diet a year or two ago. It is hard at first to go back to making thing from scratch--but it gets easier and you will find your tricks. A lot of it is retraining your palate, which is especially important in raising kids. If we start them out young, then they will develop a taste and cravings for whole, natural food. Whenever I am tempted now, I really challenge myself to resist--and it feels so good to do it. But it isn't so much about deprivation as it is about substituting unhealthy things for healthy ones. And splurge every once in a while. And, try sometime the soy latte sweetened with honey at Starbucks--I do decaf, too. It is really good!

Perez fam, thanks for stopping by! I knew you were a sister when I saw agave nectar and grapeseed oil on your recipe! :)

Ronda, congrats on going vegan! And, yes, running to the potty is normal! When we first went vegan, we would just bolt in the middle of conversation, yelling, "VEGAN #2s!" It has let up now that things have leveled out, but we are still going poop LOTS throughout the day. But that is a good thing!

Commentors, I love you!

Ronda's Rants said...

Bless you for answering my question and I am so very grateful to God this is normal! I feel great other than that...little problem!! I love your recipes!

Anonymous said...

People should read this.