Sunday we had breakfast and lunch at Gina and Brendan's house. I brought pumpkin pancakes and fruit.
Here are some of the meals here lately:
The French toast recipe from Vegan With a Vengence is SO GOOD! And easy! I think the secret is chickpea flour and corn starch. To me, it is better than traditional French toast since it isn't egg-y at all. And it cooks up so nice and golden. I didn't have any chickpea flour so I just whizzed up dry chickpeas in the Vitamix until I had flour.
Now I have some whole wheat bread baking in the bread machine, and I got up early to do our carrot juicing for the next few days. I'm going to make some vegan ravioli (from frozen) to take to Clayton in between his surgeries today. And, dinner...not sure yet!
8 comments:
Looks good!
I've been meaning to ask what kind of juicing Clayton has done and with what? You've mentioned carrots, do you add any other veggies with it? Has he done just a ton of it?
I love to juice and for myself loved carrots and apples. Actually just about anything juiced!
what did you have at Olive Garden?
Hey there, loyal readers even when I'm such a schmuck.
Becca, I usually do carrot and apple. I try to sneak in kale or spinach when I can but it is hard to sneak since it makes the juice look like baby poop--which Clayton hates. I don't mind the greens and it is an excellent way to get all those powerful antioxidants. I make a big batch and put in 8-ounce canning jars filled all the way up to the rim--actually bulging over. I then run a knife over to scoop off the air bubbles and screw on the lid. This method, I've read, keeps the juice "alive" and as good as freshly juiced. I'm thankful for this since running my juicer and cleaning it everyday would be a huge pain. I usually make 8 8-ounce glasses--enough for us both to drink for four days.
Mindi, we order the capellini pomodoro with a side of broccoli--no cheese, of course. In the thick of cancer treatment, we substituted whole wheat linguine for the capellini. We usually get the minestrone soup and the salad. The salad dressing has sugar and other things that make its ingredient list too long. The salad is made mostly of iceberg lettuce--blech. We order the breadsticks--which are vegan--without the butter. However, the breadsticks do have partially hydrogenated oil and, I believe, sugar. So, the meal isn't really healthful, but it is a cooking relief for me and it isn't a regular deal AND it is still a much healthier option than what the people are usually eating at the table next to us. And, we always order water. Yep, our waiters always totally love us! :)
I often burn the squash patties, so you've made my day today.
Thanks for sharing the juicing recipe--I'm trying to swipe my mom's juicer.
I'm in OK, so that's why I'm not blogging.
After 3 weeks of not cooking while on vacation, I made some good meals last night and today.
yesterday:
pasta noodles with butter
fresh steamed green beans
corn
peach cups
tonight:
chicken salad with: rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, the leftover cold pasta, the leftover veggies, added salad and some other veggies
served with warm crusty bread and butter
and strawberries
no dessert either night... :)
Barbara--my favorite chicken salad has always been one made with rotisserie chicken! Glad you all had a fun time on your vacation! Three weeks without cooking...to dream! :)
mmmm I love pumpkin pancakes! I found another fab recipe for pancakes on the my sweet vegan blog. They turned out super fluffy and light.
I'm going to have to try the squash patties, they sound yummy :)
thanks for the info. :)
since most of our favorite OG dishes are loaded with cheese and butter, i had no idea there was much more there besides that!
Post a Comment