Wednesday, July 09, 2008

A Very Nicole Day

I swiped some recipes off of Nicole's food blog for today. Yum! But first yesterday:

Tuesday

D
Tamales with salsa
Refried black beans
Salad with guacamole
Peaches
Berry-peach cobbler

The cobbler was a 50% success. The filling was good: blueberries, blackberries, and peaches sweetened with a little apple juice and honey. The "pastry," if you want to call it that, was iffy. I have never been a great pie crust maker, and yesterday's attempt had to be the worst. It was edible (not to Clayton)--the kids loved it. FYI, the pastry recipe is from Veganomicon; but I blame my own self for its failure. I wanted to do a lattice design on top, but the dough wouldn't roll out...so little squares!

Wednesday

L
Nicole's Jalapeno-Potato chowder
Buff Chick Sandwiches
Fruit salad with blackberries, blueberries, peaches, and strawberries

D
Nicole's sage-butter pasta
Veggie pizza with tomato sauce, roasted broccoli and red pepper, red onion, zucchini, and spinach
Fruit salad

The pasta and soup were hits. Thank you, Nicole! I did add red pepper to the soup since I didn't have green. And I did saute garlic with the sage and used Earth Balance margarine.

People, try this veggie pizza. I tried a new crust from Whole Foods that is more like a Chicago-style pizza. I didn't do pesto this time but made a tomato sauce from our patio tomatoes--just tomatoes, garlic, s&p, and fresh basil.

And, the Buff Chick is my silly name for a buffalo chicken sandwich made from these vegan chick nuggets. I made a ranch dressing out of Vegenaise, minced fresh cucumbers, dill, taragon, marjoram, and thyme. Oh, delish. Finished off with lettuce and red onion.

6 comments:

Ab said...

I can't wait to explore your blog more--I'm allergic to just about everything, and so I'm always looking for good, usable recipes--and it looks like between you and Nicole, I've struck gold!

Thanks!

Unknown said...

Wow, how have I missed Nicole's blog!? Thanks for the link.

I think I'm going to have to plan a whole foods trip next week, it's at least a half hour drive but I haven't been in awhile. That pizza crust just looks too good, and oh do I have a weak spot for buffalo wings mmmmm

Barbara said...

Nicole made the sage/butter pasta and the pecan patties while we were in Texas and they were both delicious!

As for me, we've been away for three weeks - we've had some very delicious meals, but no cooking for me! :)

Nicole said...

I am just so flattered to have all this talk about me and my cooking. Thanks for the compliments.

How did you make the soup without any milk. Soy? I absolutely love those recipes. Glad you enjoyed them.

Ab, sorry about the food allergies. I completely understand. What are your allergies?

Nicole said...

OH FYI... I am now two months later responding to a question you asked on my blog.

A pundit is a small light basket or container for fruit or vegetables (approximately a pint).

I just realized my comments were not being emailed to me :(

angela | the painted house said...

Nicole, I used rice milk for the soup, which made it a little too sweet, I think. Next time I will use soy.