Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A Corny Post

Sometimes thinking up titles for this blog is a real chore! Anyway, we ate a lot of corn today.

L
Leftovers for kids
Spinach salad with celery, corn, carrots, tomatoes, and buffalo chick "wings" and lemon-dill dressing for me
Peaches and cantaloupe

D
Pinto bean and potato soup
Spinach salad with carrots, celery, tomatoes, and lemon-dill dressing (deja vu)
Jalapeno cornbread
Fruit salad with peaches, blueberries, and strawberries

I just bought a bushel of peaches yesterday at the farmer's market. So lot of peaches coming our way. And, that is a good thing.

The cornbread was okay--from Veganomicon. It was dense, yet moist. It was fine for crumbling in the soup, but not great just to eat straight. Not sure whether it was me or the recipe. I am not beneath accepting blame!

For the soup, I cooked dry pintos, then when soft I added a soup starter, a can of Rotel tomatoes, leftover corn from yesterday, and two cubed potatoes--oregano, bay leaf, and cumin.

You?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

That spinach salad looks good! We eat a lot of corn in our family as well.

Christina said...

We received some organic corn on the cob in our co-op shipment this week. I'll serve it tonight with some sauteed cabbage, fruit and salmon.


BTW, the Louisiana Cajun fettuccini looks wonderful. Is that a recipe from Vegan with a Vengence?

You have also encouraged me to serve more healthy food to my family. Your blog is always such an inspiration.

lazy susie said...

Lunch: grated kohlrabi and carrot salad; homemade pesto and cucumbers on pitas. Most of that came from our farmer around the corner.

Dinner: Baked basil potatoes; piles of green beans; fudge made with dates, almond butter, and raw carob powder.

Ronda's Rants said...

Love it...

angela | the painted house said...

Christina--thank you! The Louisiana pasta is just one of my made-up meals. I saute red onions, mushrooms, and garlic and then add some of the cashew sauce (cheesy). I then add cajun seasonings and chili powder until it tastes right. Depending on what I have in the fridge, I also throw in red peppers and peas.

Christina said...

Thanks Angela. I know in our house sometimes the made-up meals are some of the very best. I'll have to give it a try.