Thursday, August 21, 2008

Two Easy-Peasy Meals...With No Peas


L
Tamales with salsa
Red leaf lettuce with carrots, red onion, brocco sprouts, lime, and guacamole
Pineapple and cantaloupe

D
Pappardelle with tomatoes, garlic, and fresh basil
Green beans
Strawberries, blueberries, and pineapple

The tamales are the ones I made and froze. Pop'em in the steamer and heat some salsa and it is done!

The pappardelle elicited a "this is the best dinner I have ever had in my life" from Ashton and a subsequent "this is the best dinner...I never...heard" from Juliet. And the beauty of it all is that it took me maybe 30 minutes from start to finish. I chopped 4-5 cloves of garlic, saute in oil, add a can of diced tomatoes, freshly ground pepper and salt, a little veggie broth to make it soupy, and fresh sliced basil (I use kitchen scissors). Let simmer while the pappardelle cooks. When the pasta is ready, I transferred it to the pan with the sauce and let it all simmer together while I finished washing the fruit and sidestepping the baby at my feet. Then I threw in a little extra basil. I'm with Juliet, it was the best dinner I never heard. And that is the honest truth.

2 comments:

lazy susie said...

I wish more people around here liked pasta...

Last night, flying solo, I had a wonderful fresh-from-someone's-garden tomato sandwich.

And the night before that was Cajun Stuffed Peppers (good, not outstanding) from Veganomicon. I think that it was my first ingestion of black-eyed peas.

angela | the painted house said...

I've wondered about those stuffed peppers. They sounded good but since my family wouldn't eat a pepper like that, I haven't tried it.

I love a good tomato sandwich!