Saturday, January 12, 2008

Breakfast For Three

Clayton just wanted a bowl of Cheerios. But the rest of us ate:

French toast
Stripples
Milk

I was curious this evening if there were a recipe for cottage cheese loaf/Special K loaf on the Kellogg's webpage...and there is. It is different than mine, but the same concept. They actually had a lot of vegetarian recipes using the Morningstar Farms and Loma Linda and Worthington brands. I don't like to use too many meat substitutes, but some of the recipes sounded good.

You?

8 comments:

Barbara said...

I'll have to check out the Special K box. :)

Dinner tonight was good.

We had:

-tilapia fish, which I coated with bread crumbs (after dipping in milk so they'd have something to stick to and then baked in the oven. Marlon and Harrison put salsa on theirs. I put stewed tomatoes. Jacob put ketchup and Michela ate hers plain.
-baked yams with marjarine and a little bit of brown sugar
-canned corn
-frozen spinach
-applesauce

We didn't actually have any dessert! :)

Anonymous said...

I cooked a lot this weekend for guests both Saturday and Sunday. I made the same dessert both days, which simplified my planning a little.

Dessert:
Fresh chopped strawberries, layered in a pretty stemware glasses with freshly whipped cream (beat with hand mixer: heavy whipping cream, vanilla and sugar to taste),
grated lime zest over the top.
Very pretty and very delicious. Caleb and one of our guests both said at different times how much better this cream was than cool whip.

Sat. Dinner:
Homemade pizzas, crust and all :)
Homemade sauce, vegetarian sausage crumbles, and veggie toppings (tomatoes, olives, green bell pepper, mushrooms,) and mozzarella cheese, 3 mixed cheeses.
Fresh veggie crudite and ranch dip.
chocolates
popcorn for the movie later.

Sun. dinner:
They requested brown rice and veggies. So I made the fluffy brown rice (by lightly toasting it first) and for the stir fry:
celery, broccoli, bean sprouts, red bell pepper, baby carrot rounds, mushrooms, yellow squash, teriyaki and soy sauce.
Fortune cookies.
chocolates.

Funny, both couples are recently engaged. (Well, one couple, he has not officially asked her yet, since his plan is soo romantic, but they have a tentative date anyway.) I am playing the harp in both weddings. I am also a bridesmaid in one of the weddings. Caleb is best man for one of the weddings, and groomsman in the other! Both weddings are this fall!!! Let me guess, I will be planning both their baby showers about his time next year?!

Anonymous said...

I knew I left out listing one of the stir fry ingredients...and water chestnuts!

Barbara said...

Bonnie, the food sounds great. I wish I was a guest. But I'm not recently engaged... just old and gray! (just kidding about the gray part, but feeling ancient and old at 41 years old with three kids.)

angela | the painted house said...

Oh, good, Bonnie, I was hoping you would write your guest menus! Yum-yum, real whipped cream is better than Cool Whip any day. But sometimes you can't beat the convenience!

Barbara, you cook spinach a lot...I've been meaning to ask you how you cook it. I have a hard time stomaching the taste of cooked spinach unless it is mixed with ricotta cheese or lots of cream... Do you have any tips???

Barbara said...

I don't do anything to it at all. :) I buy frozen chopped spinach and just cook it in a casserole dish in the microwave. Sometimes I'll sprinkle it with lemon juice and sometimes not. The kids love spinach. It's one of their favorite veggies.

Sounds good with ricotta cheese, though! (I've never tried that.)

Anonymous said...

I love spinach too...especially in quiche.
Barbara, will I feel old after ONE child??? Anyway I cook for anniversary guests too! Of course with newly love sick people...all the fortune wrapper inserts were ended with "in bed". I cannot say I had ever played that game before! anyone else??? but it was funny, especially when the guy started telling us all about the blank fortunes he has opened. Umm anyway.
Angela I am with you on cool whip convenience, and I especially like it frozen.

angela | the painted house said...

Is there any other way to read a fortune? My mom, actually, taught me that when I was just a wee tot except it was to song titles. We would sit and go through her LPs and end each title with "under the sheets." Is it any wonder I turned out the way I did?

Barbara, that is wonderful that your kids love spinach! I just sneak mine in...and by ricotta, I mean stuffed in a manicotti shell or in lasagna. Now, spinach salad with strawberries...have I told you about that one???? :)