Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Comfort Food Italian Style

With the legions of Dinner's Ready commentors talking about comfort food, I was inspired to cook up my own spread of gooey delights to warm my tummy.

Portabella mushroom risotto
Steamed peas
Italian bread broiled with tomatoes and mozzerella
Oranges
Warm cinnamon apples

It was my first time making risotto--and I (not Ashton, oh, not Ashton) thought it turned out great. Lots of garlic and freshly-grated parmesan. Yum!

You? Or, should I ask, "Barbara? Bonnie?"

7 comments:

Barbara said...

Sounds delicious to me!

I checked the side bar of recipes for ideas tonight, but didn't really have the stuff to make anything that looked interesting and easy, so I made something up that turned out great.

-chicken/apple sausage from Trader Joes cooked in a pan with pinto beans and little "grape" tomatoes. Quite tasty, very easy and everyone loved it.
-served over rice
-warm crusty bread from the oven dipped in a new "balsamic vinegar/oil" dipping oil (well, the kids had butter and honey, Marlon and I had the oil)
-fresh steamed green and yellow beans
-blueberries, rasberries and strawberries

for dessert: chocolate covered graham crackers for the kids. I'm saving my dessert for when they go to bed - a fresh ligonberry scone from Trader Joes with a cup of tea!

Anonymous said...

ligonberry? Is it possible there is an actual berry I have not tried??

is this my record for number of comments in one day?

...I happen to have had a VERY long afternoon/turning into night in the kitchen, and I am soooooo tired of standing up. A seat at the computer is a welcome break while "the bread rises", AGAIN. Yes that Rye bread bread. Still making it!!!!! Apparently the yeast was NOT dead, and apparently I didn't comprehend the fact that this recipe would be a 7 hour process, at least. So now the huge soft mounds of dough are looking beautiful in their last rising stage, but they still have to bake after that. No early night for me! They had better be good. Whew........

So what happened to the upbeat "this is the bestest most beautifullest meal ever Ashton"?

Barbara said...

Wow. You have way more patience in the kitchen than I do, Bonnie. I admire how you make everything from scratch. I just *buy* bread. And Angela, you too, make so much from scratch that I buy - like pancakes. We eat frozen ones quite a bit but I rarely have time to make pancakes. I do my best in the kitchen but I just can't compare to you too!

But, at least we dont' do take out that often and I get a good, well rounded meal on our table every night (for the most part!) so I guess it doesn't really matter if parts of it are store bought, frozen or even canned! :)

I've never come face to face with a ligonberry, but out here in CA we have ligonberry pies in the bakeries and apparently ligonberry scones at Trader Joes.

And now that long division has been painfully finished (it's not hard for them, just tedius and they get impatient), reading has been finished, showers have been taken after baseball practice and soccer games, and thermal, kinetic and potential energy has been studied, the kiddies are in bed and I'm going to go downstairs to clean up the kitchen from dinner, then enjoy my tea and ligonberry scone while reading a good novel! :)

Anonymous said...

That is the first time I have made bread in while, and I may now say the last for a long time too!!!
The loaves turned out beautifully, but that was too much work for almost 7mths pregnant...At least I wasn't barefoot, haha.

I woke up last night with contractions that would not give up, and tossing and turning...it woke my husband up :( and he said...Do you remember what you did today? I was like Yeah...and he said, OK don't do that again!
I get so tired of napping and taking it easy, but I am not complaining, really, I am glad he is so understanding that my energy is not everything it has always been!

So now I am just going to be a kept princess for a few months, which were my instructions anyway, but I will really try harder this time to comply to such a hard task! I know I will wish I had later.

angela | the painted house said...

Take care of yourself, Bonnie! Listen to your wise husband...but I can relate. Sometimes you just want to feel normal. Glad your bread turned out after all that time investment.

Ligonberries--aren't they popular in swedish food? Or European countries in general? And, Barbara, did you say "scone" like "Don?" Were you reading the blog back when Bonnie gave us the proper British pronunciation of "scone?"

And, Barbara, I feel we all just have to do what works for us and our schedules. I used to feel bad for buying more convenience foods--like there was something more noble about trimming fresh green beans than opening up a bag of frozen. Certainly, fresh is usually better in taste; but sometimes I can't tell. My life is so hectic (that is why I'm blogging now...) that I have just decided the convenience and a little extra expense is worth it. But I do enjoy cooking, so I do like to do some things time to time from scratch...in fact, all this talk about fresh bread makes me want to bake my own. It has been a while. But there is nothing like a meal in minutes!!!

And congrats on your original meal that the family all loved--that is always a good feeling!

Anonymous said...

Barbara, you are an amazing mom. You know every subject your kids are studying. They are lucky to have you.

Barbara said...

Thanks, Donna. That's sweet. I do take a pretty hands on approach with their homework and they do really well and get almost straight A's so I guess it pays off. I'm trying to teach them to work independently and I don't *do* their homework, but I stay in the same room so that I can check it over, help them understand stuff, etc. And we all read together when it's reading time because I love to read and it's a good time for me to snuggle up with them and a good book. (Plus I feel totally hypocritical saying "go read" while I watch TV!)

I've noticed with my oldest starting middle school, even though he's very bright and a very high achieving student, he needs to learn to study for tests differently now that the material is harder. He can't get by in subjects like science by just memorizing the stuff anymore, so I helped him study last night so he could learn how to actively study the material to prepare for a test.

Anyway, thanks for the positive feedback!

Bonnie, definitely take care of yourself and rest. You don't want that baby coming early! Enjoy the luxury of being pampered and having time to relax.

I think ligonberries *are* swedish. They taste and look like cranberries to me.