Okay, what is up with this kid? Ashton sure is complimentary these days. The dinner was good but not "best dinner ever" good. Anyway...
Cheese enchiladas with mole sauce
White rice (just cooked in veg broth and cumin)
Black bean & corn salad with tomatoes, red onion, and lime juice
Guacamole
Fresh pineapple
The kids had red salsa instead of the mole on their enchiladas--mole was too spicy for them. I had intended to put the salad over some lettuce but couldn't get to the store for it or cilantro which would have also made it better. Oh well.
I just had some shortbread cookies and a glass of milk with chocolate syrup--felt like I was 8 again!
You?
Wednesday, January 09, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
The enchiladas sound good. How did you make them?
I LOVE shortbread cookies. Storebought are good, but homemade are incredible.
I went to a fun "girls night out" at our synagogue this evening and we had take out chinese and lots of wine and chocolate. What more could you want. Oh, and a fun "white elephant" auction. I ended up with a kuma sutra book with pictures that would make you blush for a mere $1.75! And some cool shower gels I gave the kids, who are into shower gels.
I made dinner for the family before I left:
-penne pasta w/tomato basil sauce
-leftover meatballs from last night
-sourdough bread with butter
-salad w/balsamic vinegarette dressing
-canned corn
-for dessert: frozen pancakes (cooked, of course) with strawberry jam. it's what they wanted!
your meal sounds good, Barbara, so does your's Angela.
Ashton is too funny. I was just telling Caleb again the other day about how funny it was when Rach & I were with you all last year, and how smart and knowledgeable Ashton was on so many issues...until you asked him something he wasn't versed on...he would say "Oh, (voice descending a little) I don't know about that".
Last night...
stir fried broccoli, red bell pepper, carrots, added ramen noodles, chicken and oriental flavours. Good for something quick and easy...later grapefruit.
I got up early and made a cooked breakfast this morning...before C went to work. Caleb asked why I didn't just go to McDonald's, but agreed it was sooo much tastier home made...you don't get miracle whip at McDonald's, you don't get W.W biscuits at McDonald's, you don't get vegetarian bacon at McDonald's...
Breakfast:
W.W. biscuit breakfast sandwiches - (home style biscuits)
miracle whip
egg
cheese
morning star "facon"
hash browns
ketchup
sliced apples
orange juice
Lunch:
Caleb is home for lunch today...baked potatoes, layered with sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped tomatoes.
Bonnie, I made "breakfast sandwiches" at home for the kids too and they are soooo much better than McDonalds!
What's WW biscuits?
Today we had cereal for breakfast, so nothing special, BUT I did make lunch for a mere 8 kids! (my three, plus 5 friends who were over.)
We had:
tomato soup (canned)
mac and cheese
tuna mixed with mayo
red grapes
baby carrots
I've got brownies in the oven for dessert.
They're out riding bikes and we're going in a little while to see The Bee Movie at our dollar theater.
What fun!
sounds like a hive of action at your house!
WW = Wholewheat ...I just used the Homestyle brand, they are really good but sometimes you have to look for them...
oh... duh! sorry for my ignorance! :)
Yes, it was just jumpin' over here. Marlon had a dinner meeting and I was wiped out from being "host" to so many kids today, so the kids and I had a frozen pizza and apples for dinner.
That does sound tiring! But then I have been awake much of the night.
Last night...
We went out for Indian food with friends and their brand new baby. My friend Holly has been craving Indian food for months, but couldn't eat it. Now that little guy is out, she can stomach it again!
It was a fun time...as I told them too, normally after a dinner like that, I would feel inclined to eat rice cakes and grapefruit for the next 24 hours...but as I reach for the grapefruit, but by some strange twist on survival of the fittest or a wild call of maternal instinct I am instantly haunted by a skeleton baby face with sunken eyes, and I start envisioning peanut butter and crackers instead. So weird.
Weird! :)
We love Indian food. What did you have? We usually get some sort of mild curry dish, a lamb dish, a chicken tikka dish, the veggie samosas, a veggie dish (there's a good eggplant one), and of course naan!
The Veg. Korma...so good...we actually shared that this time, since their servings are so huge and we still had left overs for the next day! And of course the naan...a cheese one, and an interesting mint one, and not to be left out Mango Lassis. Our friends got the korma, and another fresh cheese dish that had a nice flavour too.
There is another place I go for lunch sometimes, called Korma Sutra, - don't typo that one! - and they have a huge lunch buffet -love their eggplant dish, potato/peas, chicken curry, and korma. They give you unlimited lassis and chai tea.
Indian food to me is such an aesthetic experience all around, it is not just about the flavours, but the sights and the environment they serve in too.
May I join in, you two???
I feel very unsophisticate as I have NEVER had Indian food. I blame it on Clayton, but I need to change that and just go by myself--all that food sounds so good!
Barbara, about the enchiladas: I used jarred mole and just thinned with veggie broth. I softened the corn tortillas on the stove in a little oil (much better than doing it in the micro with a spritz of water but more fat), filled with mexican cheese blend, rolled them in a baking dish, and covered with the thinned mole--baked until heated through. The kids and I had them the next day for lunch and I offered the enchiladas to our nanny (who is Mexican) with the disclaimer that they probably aren't as good as hers, but she said they were good! So I guess they tasted pretty authentic, but most Mexicans serve the mole with chicken--also yummy.
Oh, the enchiladas sounds so easy. I'll have to try them.
We LOVE ethnic foods. Even the kids, although we didn't take them when they were your kids age.
Another good one is Persian. Do you ever have that Bonnie? Our favorites are fessenjan (not sure how you spell it), which is a pomegranite sauce. And the chicken dishes are always good.
Another awesome evening of ethnic food with wonderful ambiance is morroccan food. Very delicious lamp and vegetarian entrees and a very big production out of the whole meal. And belly dancers.
We've also enjoyed Ethiopian and the kids LOVED that dining experience. I have NO idea what we were eating, but it was sooooo good. Angela, you won't like this part, but it's served family style on a little round table that you sit around and the food is on a big spongy bread thing that is the size of the table and you don't use utensils, you just use your hards to break off part of the bread and scoop up some food. It was good... and also fun!
Tonight, though, we had mexican at Chipotle Grill. We'd never been there and it was tasty, inexpensive and fast. Jacob had a bean burrito. Michela had steak tacos. Harrison had a fajitas burrito. Marlon had 2 chicken tacos. I had two carnitas tacos. We shared rice, beans and chips with guac. After ice skating (we were in a nearby outdoor entertainment center and they have a temporary ice rink for nov. Dec and Jan., we had golden spoon for dessert.
Post a Comment