Thursday, June 05, 2008

Deliciously Deceptive

I'm a good girl, but sometimes I can be a little evil. Remember the cheesy sauce from two days ago that "turned" Clayton's stomach? Well, he has since eaten it twice without knowing...and went back for seconds. Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky.

Yesterday I packed a date "picnic" lunch to eat at Clayton's office.

Wednesday

L
Homemade hummus sandwiches with spinach, red pepper, and red onion
Spelt pretzels
Spinach and baby green salad with carrots and herb vinaigrette
Fruit salad with strawberries, blueberries, mango, cherries, and green grapes
Lara bars for dessert

D
Louisiana cajun pasta with portabellos, red onions, and roasted red pepper
Steamed peas
Tomato-basil bread from Panera bread
Fruit salad

Thursday

L
Cheesy penne with peas
Hummus and warm pita bread
Fruit salad

D
Kale, roasted red pepper, and onion enchiladas with red sauce
Pintos and brown rice
Spinach and baby greens salad with carrots and lemon vinaigrette
Mango-orange-banana-pineapple smoothies

I used the leftover cheesy sauce as a base for the Louisiana cajun pasta with magnificent results--who needs dairy anyway? I sauteed the veggies and garlic in a bit of grapeseed oil and then deglazed with white wine, simmered, and then added the cheesy sauce and lots of chili powder, cajun seasonings, marjoram, and tarragon. To quote Clayton, "Mmm, this is so good." That's what I'm talking about, peeps.

I decided to use the rest of the sauce mixed in with jarred salsa for the enchiladas--even though I was afraid I was pushing my luck with Clayton. But again, he said, "The enchiladas have such great flavor." Thankyouverymuch.

When I make that cheese sauce recipe again, I will try using less nutritional yeast. I think that is what Clayton was getting hung up on. So the moral of this story is: try it already! It can do a myriad things to satisfy your cheese/creamy craving. And it is so easy to make. Really.

Finally, things seem to be getting easier for me in the kitchen these days. I think it is because I am finding my groove and finding shortcuts and preparing better. We had leftovers all week for lunch except yesterday--so nice and easy!

You?

5 comments:

lazy susie said...

Angela,

I am SO enjoying your meals. That is exactly how I want to cook, but it is not to be right now. I'll just keep living through your blog for the time being.

Bon appetit!

Susan

lazy susie said...

Angela,

I am SO enjoying your meals. That is exactly how I want to cook, but it is not to be right now. I'll just keep living through your blog for the time being.

Bon appetit!

Susan

Natalie said...

I can't wait to cook again!

Anonymous said...

I could have sworn i saw a gluten recipe on here a couple days ago.... any one have one that is good? thanks in advance

Becca~CapturingSimpleJoys said...

This is funny. There have been MANY things over the years that Mark has said he doesn't like but I sneak in things and he loves them. It's much like cooking for children.