Tuesday, January 22, 2008
Fun With Kids & Cookies
Look here on Pioneer Woman Cooks for a fun cookie activity to do with your kids. Ashton and Juliet helped me make cookies with sugar cookie dough and Hershey's Kisses with caramel on Friday. They both loved dropping the dough in the muffin tins and unwrapping the Kisses. I didn't allow them to press the Kisses in the baked cookies, however, since I was afraid they would burn themselves on the hot pan--I'm a good mommy like that. Certainly homemade cookies are better--not to mention the LOADS of trans fat in refrigerated cookie dough--but this looked like an easy, fun activity to do on a cold winter's afternoon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I'm so excited - so many new recipes to try and I LOVED the photos of some of them. I can't wait to try the pot pie. It sounds so yummy on a cold night.
Tonight was great - it was a Tuesday but Harrison didn't have baseball because of the three day tournament, so that made the night a little less hectic. We were ALL able to sit down to eat dinner at the table in between Jacob and Michela's dance classes, rather than all eating separately.
Anyway I made this great meat mixture to go into tortillas. It was just ground beef (the 4% fat kind, so it was lean), potoatoes that I cut into cubes and microwaved a little so they didn't take too long to cook with the meat, and pinto beans. We put salsa on it and put it into tortillas and it was so good.
Then I made a really good mushroom risotto (from a box mix)
and I made a great vegetable dish with portabella mushrooms, tomatoes and red/orange/yellow peppers. I cut them up into chunks, drizzled with a balsamic vinegar and olive oil mixture and roasted in the oven for awhile.
For fruit we had pears that were so sweet and juicy.
For dessert: Golden Spoon yogurt (remember, it's tuesday - I buy it after I do my trader joes shopping while Jacob and Michela are in their 7:30 to 8:30 hip hop class.)
I hear we have a Trader Joe's coming to town soon!
I made rice and vegetable-cashew stir fry for my mother and Caleb, and then I rushed out the door to meet friends Luci and Sarah, for a fully catered evening of amazing food...3 floors of it!
Yes, I felt a little guilty making simple food at home while heading out for gourmet, but one of the chefs sent me home with a beautiful to-go box! So I don't feel too bad ;)
The "highlights" were:
- blanched veggies (white and green asparagus and baby gourmet squash, my favs.) with a balsamic drizzle and sun dried tomato sauce.
- mixed roasted fingerling potatoes
- potato gratin was amazing
- artichoke hearts topped with a mound of spinach artichoke dip. wow.
- 5 layer pesto cream cheese dip, with tomato as well as basil pesto. It was like a white green and red rainbow.
- pitta chips and dill dip
- smoked salmon variations
- hot white Cheddar crab dip with fried wontons
- Then our top two combined favourites between the 3 of us were:
- corn tortilla scoops stuffed individually with guacamole and a baby shrimp on top...
- and a guava cake, so moist and delicious.
Yum. How exciting about Trader Joes. Have you ever been in one? I'll be sure to send you a list of my favorite products when it opens.
Just read Dee's message on the main blog.
OK, Barbara, time to inundate Angela's blog with an "Invasion of the commenters"!
As per usual I keep the fresh fruit around for snacking on, sometimes as dessert, snacks or part of a meal, usually breakfast or late in the evening. The pears and mangoes are looking especially good this time of year. I think grapefruit is not quite as perfect as it was a month or two ago.
Thurs.
Lunch:
roasted root vegetable soup (butternut squash, parsnips, carrots, suede, leeks, onion)
bread and butter
Dinner:
parsnip cashew patties (put extra cashews in them this time and they were even better)
marinara sauce
steamed broccoli
garden salad
bread and butter
then super delicious birthday cake at Sammy's house for me...no-one else wanted to go out from my house.
Fri lunch: out for another birthday celebration - at a Mexican restaurant - for my husband's Aunt Karen. I found her a cute pot of daffodils...does that mean spring is coming???!!!!
tonight:
black beans
rice
steamed beet greens
corn bread
Then it's out to coffee on the town with friends, Holly, Kaedden, Brad and John.
change of plans!!!
did it occur to anyone else that Mexican for lunch, and then rice and beans for dinner might be a little much of a good thing???
So as I was partway through making the beans...I decided to freeze them for another time.
So tonight is instead:
tomato ginger chickpea curry
new potatoes
beet greens
left over marble birthday cake
from lunch :)
then out to coffee with said peeps.
All that sounds yummy!
I made a nice dinner last night:
-fresh tilapia baked and topped with a fresh Trader Joes mango salsa
-matza balls
-broccoli
-sourdough bread w/butter
-for dessert: chocolates
We're home tonight but out tomorrow (sat) and sun nights. I'll let you know what I make.
Post a Comment