Wednesday I made an old favorite that had my family bowing at my feet. More "best, best, best dinner" comments from Ashton and Clayton even said that he "would pay money for this meal," which I guess means he would order from a restaurant or whatever. I added a few extras, but other than that I don't know exactly what made it so special to everyone--at least different from usual.
Homemade pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream
Fried plantains
Fried yucca
Oranges and bananas
The pico de gallo was pretty with the red, orange, and yellow tomatoes I bought at Whole Foods. The yucca was a first for me in the kitchen. I grew up eating it at my paternal grandmother's home--so yummy.
Today Clayton came home for lunch:
Burritos stuffed with refried beans, cheese, carrots, and spinach--topped with tomatillo salsa
Rice
Fresh pineapple and banana
Tonight for dinner it was split down the middle: the kids didn't like it, the adults did like it.
Steamed green beans
Multi-grain bread
Fresh pineapple
Texas sheet cake
8 comments:
The dinner with beans and plaintains looks fantastic. How do you make fried plantains? We all love those when we go to Peruvian restaurants.
We had a simple but good meal tonight. It's raining like crazy today so I felt like warm soup and comfort food.
-lentil soup (from a can, but a healthy can from Trader Joes)
-scrambled egg burritos (just scrambled eggs, cheese and salsa in corn tortillas)
-mashed potatoes
I've got brownies cooking in the oven while I type this. Marlon's reading his Economist magazine in his favorite chair. The kids are watching a movie on the Disney Channel that they've been waiting for for a few months (Disney builds the hype for awhile). The rain is pounding on the roof. my tea is simmering, my book is waiting, the dog is at my feet, we smell brownies in the oven. We're all in pj's. We have nowhere we have to be. Can life get much better than this?? :)
Sounds like life is good.
Angela, your food looks yummy! I love it when we can actually see the dishes you prepare.
When do you sleep? I mean, seriously. And I only have two kids and a husband who often works from home. You are superwoman. I've NEVER made a dinner that looks that pretty.
That does look amazing, and as for win some, loose some, I would say a track record I would settle for!!!
Barbara, I think you have reached the plateau, it doesn't get any better than that!
I made pancakes this morning. Regular ones and healthy ones, all with maple syrup, and fresh ripe pears.
Caleb and I went out for donuts and decaf coffee for me and had a nice little meandering date while waiting for my mother at Messianic Synagogue. She used to be/still is? a Seventh Day Adventist, but really enjoys the Messianic environment. My massage therapist goes there and had recommended this particular one. She had a good time, and so did we out putzing about.
today for meals...so many left overs in the fridge, just snacking and munching...after what I said about mangoes being perfect this time of year...I opened a brown nasty one!! Sounds like a diaper doesn't it!
Barbara, your evening sounds heavenly. For the plantains: I just sliced and fried in a little oil, sprinkle with salt and fresh lime juice, and brown on both sides.
Marian, please, please know that I am NOT superwoman. This is all easy and sometimes I have a burst of energy to try something new. Plus, it is amazing what one can accomplish in a 22-minute episode of Baby Einstein.
Bonnie, tell us how you prepared all your greens. And the cashew patties, too.
So can you buy plantains in the grocery store? you can't use regular bananas, right? How much oil? Sometimes I think I use too much oil when I try to fry things. And did you use olive oil? or vegetable oil? or canola? or something different?
Made a great lunch today:
-boiled some noodles
-cut some tofu into cubes and the leftover tilapia from the other night, as well as the leftover broccoli
-sauteed the tofu, tilapia and broccoli in a little bit of olive oil and put on top of the noodles
-served with fresh apples, pears and oranges
for breakfast:
-freshly made french toast topped with blueberries, rasberries and blackberries
for dinner:
pizza, ravioli and salad at a pizza place after bowling with a group of families from our synagogue. Then an ice cream sundae bar at one of the people's house's and boy did she go all out - 4 kinds of ice cream, bananas, cherries, hot fudge, hot caramel, two kinds of chopped nuts, three kinds of sprinkles, marshmellow, cookie dough, chocolate chips, m & M's, coconut and crumbled oreo cookies. We were all in sugar heaven!
I like the idea of the berries with the French toast!
We went out for brunch/lunch to an authentic city original place that serves all "organic locally grown food"...with friends Holly, Kaedden, baby Zavien, and Clint.
Individually we ordered different dishes...
hummus, pitta bread, and spinach salad,
french toast, eggs and bacon (from once upon a time happy pigs I guess)
salmon variations, (one looked good with an omelette and potato wedges)
casadias,
coffee.
Over to C's Grandpa's house after wards for cake and ice cream. His Grandma had made both delicious lemon and chocolate.
What do you get Grandpa who doesn't need any "thing" really and who is in love with his 12 year old aging Labrador? All kinds of dog treats of course.
Lets see, I got him a soft fuzzy squeaky milk bone toy, and joint support dog treats. As Grandma says, the two of them, (Grandpa and the dog are practically one). It was funny. Not too hungry for Supper...so just light snacking, fruit, crackers, and soon to be popcorn for a movie.
Barbara, the plantains are the large banana-looking fruits--usually with lots of black markings. I used maybe 3-4 T of veg oil. I sprinkled with salt and lime juice before frying until golden on each side. Mash slightly with spatula once you flip the slices. You want a plantain that is still a little firm--not too ripe.
Post a Comment