Friday, April 18, 2008

All-Day Thing

Even though I seemed to spend all day in the kitchen today, I did make a jaunt to Target and went to frolic with the kids at the pool. I am officially pooped now. But the juicing is done--thanks to my father-in-law who accepted juicing duties this morning. And, I have pecan patties in the freezer from making a double recipe today--that is two future meals already made! Now that is something to get excited about!

B
Pineapple-mango-banana-strawberry smoothie with flax seed meal

L
Homemade tomato-basil soup
Tempeh salad over red leaf lettuce
Warm whole wheat bread fresh from the bread maker
Shake with chocolate almond milk (unsweetened), banana, peanut butter, and cinnamon

D
Pecan patties with portobello mushroom sauce
Mashed potatoes
Steamed corn
Spinach and red leaf lettuce salad with carrots, shredded zucchini, red cabbage, and celery with lemon vinaigrette
Warm whole wheat bread fresh from the bread maker
Fruit salad with apple, strawberry, and canned pineapple

I made two loaves of bread in the bread maker today. What was left over from the lunch loaf I dried out in the oven and then ground into bread crumbs for the pecan patties. The second loaf that I made for dinner was much lighter and airy than any other loaf I've made by that same recipe. I can't figure it out. The only thing I did different was use a different whole wheat flour since I ran out of the other.

The pecan patties today are a successful vegan substitute for our beloved cheese-egg-fried patties of yore. This time I chopped the onion and celery very fine and added a batch of Ener-G Egg Replacer. I'll have to post the recipe with my revisions. They really were tasty--and baked, too, so much healthier than my fried variety. Sorry, no photo of dinner tonight since all mayhem broke out as I was getting food to the table.

I am going to crash now.

You?

1 comment:

Barbara said...

To say "I've been cooking" is an understatement. It was the Jewish holiday of Passover tonight and we had 20 people for dinner. I cooked and cooked and cooked and cooked.

Here's what I made. If anyone wants recipes for any of them, I'm happy to provide, just let me know!

appetizers during Seder service: matza w/hummus, cheese spread, tzadiki dip; hard boiled eggs; carrots, sugar snap peas and grape tomatoes; and "charosets" which is a traditional Jewish dish made with chopped apples, chopped walnuts, cinnamon, wine (mostly grape juice with a smidge of wine).

1st course: gefilte fish (a traditional Jewish food) and chopped liver (also traditional)

2nd course: homemade chicken soup with matza balls (made fresh starting with just water, cut up chickens and vegetables!)

main course buffet:

-beef brisket
-apricot chicken
-baby "new" potatoes
-steamed green beans
-roasted vegetables (zucchini, mushrooms, red onion, red and orange and yellow peppers, tomatoes, eggplant)
-matza stuffing
-potato kugel

dessert buffet:

-chocolate and vanilla ice cream w/chocolate sauce
-passover cake
-passover cookies
-fresh fruit salad (melons, pineapple, blueberries, strawberries, pineapple)

Whew - I'm exhausted!!!!!