Tuesday, April 29, 2008

More Sandwiches

We are just in a sandwich groove...and there are more planned for tomorrow.

L
BBQ sandwiches (lentils on buns)
New potato salad with dill
Broccoli-carrot slaw with red cabbage
Fruit salad with strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and banana

D
Brown rice penne with tomato-vodka sauce and fresh basil
Steamed broccoli
Field green salad with toasted pecans, pear, and raspberry vinaigrette

The fake BBQ was pretty good--I just adapted the lentil sloppy joe concept from Veganomicon. I sauteed onion and garlic and then added lentils and cooked until tender. I cooked most of the liquid out and then added a bottled BBQ sauce (with no yucky ingredients or sugar). It almost tasted like a chopped beef sandwich. Another thing I like about it: it doesn't rely on soy for that meat substitute. And, man, o, man are lentils good for us!

The vodka sauce is a....Veganomicon recipe. It is very good at capturing that creamy vodka sauce essense but with blended almonds instead of cream (I used cashews since I was out of almonds). Clayton had thirds.

Stephanie, who I am just so glad is reading and commenting, asked about satisfying meat substitutes to ease into veganism. Ha, of course she would ask me on the day that Clayton tells me that his cravings for chicken are getting stronger and stronger. He is always happy with things that "fill" him up. His favorites include: pecan patties with mushroom gravy, hearty sandwiches (Boca burger, lentil sloppy joes, the "famous in our house" eggplant sandwiches), veggie chili, haystacks (Fritos or organic corn chips, beans, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, salsa), tamales, enchiladas with veggies, spaghetti and soy meatballs. I try to steer clear of too many soy products--we eat them but I try to space it out.

Stephanie, I hope this helps a little. I think it is so important to have support during a major diet transition like this. Generally the American landscape is not a friendly place for vegans. Certainly more metropolitan areas have more accommodations, but if you are in a small town or average suburbia, it can be TOUGH. The pecan patty recipe is really good and "meaty." I will try tomorrow to post a revised recipe for it.

You?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

speaking of "MAGICAL" (from your main page) a "Dinner Fairy" brought us the most amazing package over the weekend filled with delicious Mexican food on Saturday night!!
I didn't have to cook for the rest of the weekend! Are we allowed to talk about Fairies on this website?
Then Monday I made the fish tacos with coleslaw and fresh mango chutney - yay - mangoes must be back in season, they taste good again. Last night Mike & Carody invited us over for a feast off the grill, fresh pineapple, Greek pasta salad with artichoke hearts - yum, fresh bread and dipping oil, and I brought cookies, sugar lemon and I added lime too - so fresh :)and chocolate choc chip...recipes from Martha Stewart's website. I buy the organic dark choc. chips but none were sugar free. The lemon lime would be a good idea I think in a sugar free cookie.
Tonight, I don't know, maybe something super healthy like rice and veggies...

Bonnie

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU!! I so appreciate you taking the time to answer my question! I got my Veganomicon from Amazon yesterday - it was so much fun reading (I'm addicted to cookbooks) and I *think* I can do this. But I do wish we'd put a 2nd dishwasher in when we built our house - wow, very few shortcuts it appears.

We live b/w Miami and Boca Raton so we have some good vegetarian/vegan restaurant options which wil help. Also Whole Foods and a Publix Greenwise Market within 15 minutes so that helps too with shopping.

Thank you SO much again! I can't wait to try out some Veganomicon recipes and I'll see what your notes on them are too! (I still think you should write a cookbook after all of this for families with small children!) ;-) Stephanie