Thursday, April 17, 2008

Lotta Enchiladas

A Whole Foods day and I picked up my in-laws from the airport.

D
Kale-zucchini-corn enchiladas with tomatillo sauce
Chipotle rice and black beans
Red leaf lettuce topped with guacamole and pico de gallo
Fruit salad with mango, fresh pineapple, and strawberries
Brownies

There was a box waiting for me when I got home today with the sender listed as "sticky fingers bakery." You better believe I tore into that box! Inside were freshly-made cinnamon rolls and brownies--all vegan! The blessed souls responsible for this decadent treat are Robert and Becki--friends from medical school. THANK YOU!!! Yum-mo!

And, dinner: the tomatillo sauce is a Veganomicon recipe. For the enchilada filling, I sauteed onion and garlic in a little oil, added chopped kale and veggie broth, and let it simmer until softened. Then I added corn and shredded zucchini and some cumin. Everyone loved them and didn't miss the meat or cheese. Ashton said I needed to make these more often. So, yea, for kale! I did add a little too much lime to the sauce but it didn't ruin it.

The rice: instead of water to add to regular brown basmati rice, I sub veggie broth and a little chipotle salsa.

You?

7 comments:

Barbara said...

You make everything sound so good and sound so easy to make, even though I know the meals are probably far from easy.

I did something easy, but at least it was home cooked.

We had:

-grilled turkey burgers on buns w/cheese, ketchup, red onion, lettuce, tomato
-rice
-steamed broccoli
-clementines and green grapes

for dessert for the kids (and Marlon!) - bowls of lucky charms cereal. (I don't let the kids eat sugar cereal for breakfast but I do let them have it for dessert.)

Anonymous said...

Barbara,
how do you make your turkey burgers? I want to make some, but I want them to have a really good flavor. Help!

Anonymous said...

our perfect little day was interupted by a choking incident:( so dinner was a quck fix...

soup from a can...and fresh salad.

Bonnie

Anonymous said...

oops hard to spell while typing one handed!!
B

Barbara said...

Hope the choking wasn't serious! Who choked and on what?

I just buy ground turkey from The Turkey Store (I think that's what it's called - it's the one in the green wrapper that's the main brand of ground turkey, at least here in CA.)

I make it into patties and sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powders. Then I "grill" them in the George Forman grill for about 9 minutes.

I put them on buns with various condiments and toppings (sauteed muschrooms, red onion, lettuce, tomato, etc.)

They're not fancy but tasty. Sometimes I get creative and use bqq sauce or teriyaki sauce and then serve with a pineapple ring.

Anonymous said...

well the baby actually, she actually threw up in projectile fashion (long after her feeding) 3 times and then went very limp and a little blue. She was fine within seconds but exhuasted. The Pediatrician told me to take her in right away...not a virus thank goodness and her weight is great, so hopefully an isolated event!! We just have to sit her upright after every feeding for 30 minutes.

~ B

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness the baby is good.

Barbara, I just love my George Forman grill. I'll have to make them soon! That is what I order instead of a hamburger when given the choice. So much better for us.

Thanks.