Friday, April 11, 2008

Holy Tamales!

Things have been hectic here, preventing me from posting. But I have been in the kitchen--lots, including a tamale-making extravaganza that yielded 75 of those little beauties swaddled in cornhusks. My freezer is well stocked!

Wednesday

B
Blueberry-canned peach-banana smoothie with flax seed meal

L
Sloppy Joes
Baby field greens salad with brocco sprouts and lemon vinaigrette
Fruit

D
Vegetable and black bean soup with brown rice
Guacamole and tomatoes
Crisp whole wheat tortilla wedges
Pineapple, mango, kiwi

The sloppy Joes had lentils as the base and were great! Even Clayton who is a (embarrassingly) huge sloppy Joe fan loved them--and he doesn't like lentils. Another successful recipe from Veganomicon.

Thursday

B
Raspberry-blueberry-banana smoothie with flax seed meal

L
Freshly-made tamales
Brown rice
Guacamole
Pineapple and strawberries

Friday

B
Cinnamon-apple oatmeal

L
Eggplant sandwiches with tomato, onion, and red leaf lettuce
Spinach and red leaf lettuce salad with celery, red cabbage, carrot, sunflower seeds and ginger-toasted sesame dressing
Strawberries, mango, orange, and pear

D
Crispy bean and soy meat tacos with tomato, onion, and lettuce
Tamales with salsa
Steamed corn on the cob
Strawberries and pear

Nighttime Snack
Peanut butter-banana-unsweetened chocolate almond milk smoothie (OH, GOOD)

I followed a tamale recipe from, surprise, Veganomicon; and I tripled it. I figured if I were going to all the trouble of making tamales I should make tons to freeze. I made four different fillings: Veganomicon's black bean and veggie and rajas (red and green peppers, garlic, onion, and jalapeno) and then two versions of those with less spice for the kids. The black bean ones are better with more flavor; and overall they were a success for my first time. There is room for improvement for next time.

The tamalera.

The peppers and onions ready to marinate in lemon.

Hot & steamy.

You?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ummmmmmmmm , wow. how do you do that? well we had steak fingers from the frozen department an baked potatoes. Lauren had her tonsils an adnoids out on friday so she has been having LOTS of rootbeer floats, yougurt, 7-up.You are amazing! we love you all an our in our prayers.
julie